-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.nhgazette.com/

>>>C-Hawk patch image at site<<<

The Nation's Oldest Newspaper (tm)
Founded 1756 by Daniel Fowle | Editor: Steven Fowle
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - PO Box 756, Portsmouth, NH 03802

Gazette History | Gazette Seniority | Ancient Issues
Subscribe! | Guestbook | Recent Issues
Chickenhawks | Newspaper Renaissance

>>> <<<

The
Chickenhawk
Boogie!

Saturday,
October 12

Way back in the dark ages, in 1967, a band called Country Joe and the Fish had a hit
song
called "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag." With manic glee it captured the defiant
spirit of a
young generation being herded off by deranged politicians to be slaughtered in Vietnam.
Pious Republicans in divinity school were offended by it. Draftees in Vietnam loved it.

Now comes Montana's Pat Dawson (US Army, 1968-1970) with a production that, while it
may lack some of the musicianship of "Fixin' to Die," aptly nails today's parallel;
what might
be called Gulf & Exxon War II. It's called the Chickenhawk Boogie (click here to hear
it).

The Chickenhawk Boogie

What's the deal? Can this be real, are we goin' to mobilize?
Fight for oil to prove we're loyal? But not us older guys.
We kept our date, back in Sixty Eight, invited by LBJ.
He said "Son, now take this gun, and ... kill me some N-V- A!!!"

Chick, chick, chicken hawks, back there in D.C.
We got the draft while you just laughed, enjoyed your liberty!
No Purple Hearts, no missing parts, guess you were no fool.
Was life that hard, in the National Guard, or graduate school?

Hey Big Fella, used to be yella, but now you say "Let's Roll!"
Commander-in-Chief, gonna give 'em grief, now you're in control.
Wounded brothers, Gold Star mothers, can you look 'em in the face?
Does that flag you wave, make you feel brave, enough to take their place?

Now you say you got to take away our rights that men died for,
While you're cashin' in the fashion of beatin' those drums of war.
Chick, chick, chickenhawks, we'll follow you all the way
Keep on braggin' ... you might get a fraggin' ... on election day!

Copyright © 2002 by Pat Dawson

(We're sorry to report that Country Joe is being sued by Babette Ory, the daughter of
New
Orleans jazz great Kid Ory. Ory maintains the tune of "Fixin' to Die" infringes upon
the
copyright of her father's song, "Muskrat Ramble." Country Joe is reacting to the legal
problem with his typical insouciance.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>