-Caveat Lector-

http://www.chireader.com/hottype/2002/021025_2.html

"The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, a White Christian organization, standing up for
rights and
values of White Christian America since 1865. For more information, please contact the
Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, at P.O. Box 525, Imperial, Missouri 63052. Let your voice
be
heard!"

The question of what to do about this business proposition shot up the ladder to the
chancellor of the University of Missouri-Saint Louis, which operates the station. KWMU
told
Cuffley it would not accept the KKK as an underwriter. The Klan sued.

The alternative, chancellor Blanche Touhill testified in federal court, was financial
disaster.
She predicted that if her school's radio station accepted the Klan's money and
acknowledged the gift -- which it would be legally bound to do -- annual gifts to UMSL
would drop by 20 percent, or $2 million a year, and 25 percent of the 1,565 black
students
and 10 percent of the 9,142 white students would leave the school, at a further cost of
more than $3 million a year.

The Klan argued that KWMU's enhanced underwriting program was a straightforward
revenue-generating operation "administered by sales people with business concerns, not
journalists with editorial concerns." The station was a public institution, supported
by
taxpayers, that sold advertising space, and the Klan meant to purchase some of it. The
Klan
drew a parallel between its suit and the successful suit filed by Planned Parenthood
against
the Chicago Transit Authority in the mid-80s when the CTA, touchy about abortion,
refused
to sell Planned Parenthood ad space in its trains and buses.

Three years went by before KWMU prevailed in the court of appeals. The court brushed
aside the CTA precedent, reasoning that an underwriting announcement wasn't the same
as an advertisement (for all the attempts of some stations and underwriters to blur the
difference), and that advertising was "incidental" to the CTA's primary function of
providing
transportation, while announcements of funding sources relate "to the journalistic
purposes
of the station."

Among the countless differences between the Ku Klux Klan and the American Friends
Service Committee, the most significant here is that the Klan wanted to tap into an
unfamiliar and unlikely audience while the Friends asked public radio to help it reach
kindred spirits. "It's not like we have a Pacifica Radio or something," says the
Reverend Dan
Dale, director of Agape House at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a planner
of the
Friends' peace forum. "In terms of the Chicago area, this is the only station for
progressive
folks in town, and if they start saying we can't use the word 'peace' -- and we're not
talking
about editorial policy, we're talking about a paid ad -- it's very worrisome." He
doesn't want
WBEZ to become just another "corporate mouthpiece."

"Our function," Malatia responds, "is to have a free discussion of all kinds of issues
on the
air, and if we put ourselves in the position of taking dollars to advocate for public,
social, or
religious concerns on the air, it puts into question those very free discussions. It
puts into
question our ability to talk about those things in an objective way if there's an
exchange of
dollars taking place elsewhere.

"Ultimately, I think it leads you down the path where you find yourself, as Saint
Louis did, in
a position where you really have no policy to point to when the time comes to reject
something you really need to reject."

Next time the Friends might do better trying to post their message on the Red Line. So
might the Ku Klux Klan.

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>