-Caveat Lector-

http://www.jihadunspun.net/newsarchive/article_internal.php?article=30744&list=/newsarchive/index.php&;

300 "Killers And Terrorists" Will Be Set Free From Camp X Ray
Oct 26, 2002
Daily Mirror

George Bush's war on terror was shaken yesterday when it was revealed half
the men held in notorious Camp X-Ray are to be freed.

Up to 300 of the 598 supposed al-Qaeda and Taliban suspects - branded "the
worst of the worst" by US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld when it was set
up 10 months ago -will be sent home. Detainees have been repeatedly
questioned by intelligence experts while being held without charge in the
camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

But US officials now admit many are NOT a threat and have NO intelligence
value at all. It gives fresh hope to families of the seven Britons held. The
move is a major embarrassment for the White House, which has described the
men as highly dangerous terrorists and "enemy combatants".

President Bush called them "killers and terrorists - they know no
countries". Rumsfeld said they were the "hardest of the hardcore ... very
tough, well trained terrorists".

But last night Rumsfeld attempted to play down the releases. He said: "It's
true the process is working and that there are some people likely to come
out the other end of the chute. "The goal is to not have them. Let's be rid
of them."

Najeeb al-Nauimi, a Qatari lawyer for 92 of the detainees, said "reliable US
officials whom I prefer not to name" told him the 300 would be freed soon.
They include Saudis, Pakistanis - including an 80-year-old and many in their
60s - and Kuwaitis.

Mr al-Nauimi said some will refuse to be extradited to their own countries.
"Several families of clients whom I represent told me their loved ones,
fearing tough investigations when they get back home, would try to seek
asylum in other countries," he said.

Mr al-Nauimi vowed he would continue to fight for justice through the
courts. "One of the aims of the lawsuits I will file in America and Cuba is
to get a legal explanation of the reason those people were held." Lt Col
Bill Costello, spokesman for the US Southern Command in Miami, which
oversees the Guantanamo operation, said the 300 estimate was "exaggerated".
For security reasons he would not give a number or say how soon they could
be released. "We haven't moved anyone yet."

Since the camp was set up two men have been released - one a US national,
the other an Afghan schizophrenic who was sent to a Kabul mental hospital.
The brother of one British man said he was disappointed that the Britons
were not on the list of those to be freed.

Halid Dourgal, 28, was phoned by the Foreign Office and told his brother
Tarek, of Bethnal Green, East London, would stay in Cuba. The family are
calling on the Government to put diplomatic pressure on America to free the
24-year-old care worker.

Halid said: "We have heard the Pakistani government were lobbying for their
people to be freed. If this is the case then it just shows our government
should have been doing the same. We haven't heard anything about him
officially and it seems like there's been nothing happening with any of the
inmates for months. It doesn't seem like the Government are doing very much
for them.

"We never hear anything - I phone but they always just say there is no news
and they are doing everything they can. We get letters from Tarek and they
always say he is fine. But it doesn't put our mind at rest because they're
obviously written for him by someone else. If they were in his handwriting
we would feel much more reassured. Also he always says he is in good health
but we know from the Foreign Office that he was very badly injured and has
had an arm amputated."

Solicitor Parvez Akthar, who represents Shafiq Rasul, 24, a former law
student from Tipton, West Mids, said he was also not among those due for
release and his family were getting little news of him. "The feedback we get
is heavily censored. "We get very little other than to say he is alive."

Lawyer Louise Christian, who acts for several UK inmates, said the Foreign
Office had told her none would be freed. They are Feroz Abassi, 22, of
Croydon, South London, Jamal Udeen, 35, of Manchester, Ruhal Ahmed, 20, of
Tipton, and Martin Mubanga, 29, of Dollis Hill, North West London.

Miss Christian said she was still waiting for the result of her High Court
case pressing the Government to make diplomatic representations for the
Britons.

She added: "Among those who are being released are citizens of Pakistan,
whose government has been very vocal in its representations to the US. I'm
outraged by the failure of the Government to make similar diplomatic
representations to the US - they have just been sitting on their hands."

The Foreign Office denied failing to act. A spokesman said: "We have had
regular contacts with the US administration and have sent British officials
to Guantanamo Bay on three occasions. "The concerns of national security and
the welfare of the detainees have always been at the top of our agenda."

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>