-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.oologah.net/political.htm

Largent family values?

By JOHN M. WYLIE II, Publisher
Copyright 2002, Oologah Lake Leader LLC
Steve Largent has long touted being a great father to four kids as one of his big
accomplishments. But some public records suggest the results may not completely match
the image. They indicate that two young Largents have been in nasty scrapes with the
law
and might have gotten special treatment. The Largent campaign has ignored questions
about the matter. Allegations range from underage alcohol possession to a group
assault so
severe that the victim was knocked unconscious.

One young Largent, then a minor, was nailed last Dec. 4 by Norman police for driving
52 in
a 35 mph zone. That was just the start, according to the arresting officer's sworn
statement.

"A record check showed defendant's driver's license was under suspension and the
computer showed a different birth year. I observed a case pack of beer in the back seat
floorboard and numerous bottles and cans in the seats, floorboard and center console
area," the statement said. "Defendant also had 2 altered driver's licenses." Staying
out of
jail cost the defendant $1,932 in bail and the services of a top-flight lawyer. The
final deal
included a conviction for speeding and a six-month deferred sentence on the charges of
driving under suspension, having an altered license and being a minor in possession of
beer. The deal included $684.50 in fines and court costs and 40 hours of community
service.

On Aug. 12, prosecutors filed a motion to revoke the deferred sentence because the
community service had not been completed as ordered. A bench warrant was issued, but
was withdrawn and recalled--with costs to the state--on Sept. 6.

There's no explanation in Cleveland County court records about why the warrant was
withdrawn, other than "for good cause shown." No explanation is provided for why a
bench
warrant issued to the Sheriff Aug. 14 still had not been served.

This same young Largent, while working at a yogurt parlor in Tulsa, got nailed Dec. 7,
1998
in a 1997 Lexus that didn't have a safety inspection sticker. The case was dismissed
with
costs of $73, which were paid Dec. 29. No explanation is provided in the court
abstract of
the case about why someone who could afford a Lexus couldn't pay $5 to comply with the
state inspection law then in effect.

Another young Largent was allegedly involved in a party gone bad in Norman in the wee
hours of Nov. 14, 1998. According to the official records, the party included several
members of OU men's and women's athletic teams. Some of the men were asked to leave
after breaking a window, went outside, but raised Cain on the lawn. Another partygoer
stood in the door to keep the men from coming back inside, until he was pulled outside
and
"repeatedly stomped and kicked." He was treated for bruises, cuts on his chin and lips
that
required stitches and vomiting, according to a police report. In the civil suit he
later filed
against four alleged assailants--one of them the young Largent--the victim said the
beating
continued even after he was unconscious.

The victim's lawyer described the Largent youth's actions as "beyond all bounds of
decency
in a civilized society." The young Largent denied the allegations and said in court
papers
that the plaintiff's injuries "are the result of the actions of third parties over
whom this
defendant has no control or direction." Court records show that the case was dismissed
May 18, 2000 by the plaintiff with prejudice, meaning it cannot be reinstated.

There was no admission of wrongdoing by the young Largent, who earlier had offered to
settle for $1,000 as long as that would "in no way be construed as an admission of
liability.
This offer is being made for the sole purpose to avoid unnecessary litigation expense
and
for the Defendant...to buy his peace." Although police classified the incident as
aggravated
assault, there is no record of any criminal charges ever being filed against young
Largent or
the three codefendants in the civil trial. The same young Largent got picked up in
Tulsa
April 24, 2001 for not having required proof of insurance. The charge (including the
court
costs) vanished two days later--about a week before the ticket could officially be
entered
into the system, according to court records. The formal phrase was "dismissed by
court...cost to state." Dismissal of charges when proof of insurance is produced is not
unusual. Avoiding court costs, however, is far less common.

We received an unsolicited copy of one court docket Friday, and used computer searches
and a reporter/investigator in Oklahoma City to ferret out more details. Sunday, we
sent a
detailed request for comment to the Largent campaign by both fax and e-mail, to the
attention of the designated media contact. We wanted the campaign to have ample time to
reply. We asked if Mr. Largent disputed any of the information we had gathered by that
time. We wanted to make certain, for example, that there aren't two young people with
precisely the same names and ages as two of his offspring, unlikely as that sounds.

Assuming he didn't dispute the basic facts, we then asked about whether Mr. Largent
sought any special treatment for the two young people. We asked who paid the bills for
lawyers, court costs, fines and the like. We asked what steps he had taken to teach his
children not to thumb their noses at the laws the rest of us must obey.

We also asked, "Does Mr. Largent believe that a person seeking to be the governor of
the
state, with the ultimate power to commute, modify, reaffirm sentences or issue pardons
for
criminal offenses should ensure that the laws of Oklahoma are obeyed by the members of
his own family? If yes, what steps has he taken to ensure that this occurs?" We think
the
voters are entitled to answers. Apparently the Largent campaign does not. As of our
deadline Tuesday, we had received no reply to our multiple inquiries. (If the campaign
responds in time, we will provide space next week for its answers.)

We have tried to conduct our inquiry in a way that will spare the Largent children from
unwarranted publicity. The issue is not what they may have done. Rather it is the
level, if
any, of their father's responsibility for and response to some difficult events.

Children are normally not fair game in politics. However, when their father trots them
out
on platforms and in print repeatedly for political or publicity purposes as proof of
his family
values and quality parenting, that changes to some degree.

Largent has used his kids in campaigns since at least 1994, when his youngest was nine.
That makes a campaign or promotional claim of outstanding parenting one that, like any
other campaign claim, deserves scrutiny. In this case, from what we've seen so far, the
results aren't pretty. Please, Mr. Largennt--show us where we're wrong.

Oologah Lake Leader ©2000 All Rights Reserved
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>