-Caveat Lector-

>>>These Republicans shore do know howta keep the faith.  After bashing Bill Jeff,
>they let
their Newts and their LivingStones and Henry Hyde rants outta the bag.  Here, now, we's
got us a Tim!  Or is it a Tin?  Or worse: mystery mettle?<<<

http://moose-and-squirrel.com/GeneLyons/GeneLyons.html

Tim's Trophy Wife

    Some weeks ago, a Republican operative predicted an "October Surprise" that would
wreck Mark Pryor's Senate campaign. Somehow I anticipated something more aggressive
than bringing Tim Hutchinson's second wife out of hiding. Unfortunately for Tim,
however,
the biggest news his campaign mustered last week was an appearance by Randi Fredholm
Hutchinson before a Republican women's group in Fayetteville.

     Contrary to what you may have anticipated, Randi was not exhibited in stocks nor
compelled to wear a scarlet letter "A" on her bosom. Mixing her Biblical metaphors a
bit,
Renee Oelschlager, president of the host group, commented "I think she should be
commended for coming into the lion's den in Northwest Arkansas."

     Lions, of course, were a Roman innovation for killing martyrs. I think it's
stoning
Oelschlager may have meant.  Although none of the Republican ladies was impolite enough
to ask Randi about her alleged career as a homewrecker, the topic was nevertheless on
everybody's mind. "To voters,"
she somewhat defensively told reporters "somebody else's personal life does not matter
as
much as whether someone has done a competent job."

     No argument here. Other people's marriages are a foreign country where you don't
know the language.  Having grown up in a world where divorce was forbidden and all but
unknown, it's my strong belief that while broken marriages are always sad, living
together
in perpetual anger is worse. To vote against Hutchinson because of his divorce is
simply
childish. Unfortunately for him, Bible-beating middle-aged pre-adolescents are his main
constituency.

     If nothing else, marrying a U.S. Senator was a terrific career move for Randi
Hutchinson. A former staffer, she's now an attorney at the huge Washington law firm of
Dickstein, Shapiro, Morin and Oshinsky. Representing mostly Fortune 500 corporations-
pharmaceuticals, HMOs, banking, insurance, energy, chemicals, tobacco, etc.-the firm
surely recognizes the advantages of having a Senator's wife on staff.

     Having no doubt costumed herself as dowdily as possible for her Arkansas
appearances
(no sex please, we're Christians), it's unlikely Randi feels grateful to the Slate
reporter who
described her as too homely to be a bimbo. "She's pale and bulky with a weak chin,"
Will
Saletan writes. "She's wearing almost as much makeup as the Fox News correspondent.
She looks older than her age. 'How old was his first wife?' one reporter asks.
'Older,' says
another."

     Roughly twenty years, I believe. Anyway, Saletan ungallantly implies that voters
are
more apt to forgive Hutchinson for "this enthrallingly sordid episode" because Randi's
not a
hottie. (Since local newspapers have run more photos of Monica Lewinsky's mother than
our Republican Senator's new wife, I have no opinion.) Anyway, granting that Sen. Tim
would be ill advised to exhibit an Anna Nicole Smith-type on the campaign trail, it'd
be
interesting to know Saletan's scriptural authority for this intriguing bit of
casuistry. I doubt
they teach it that way at Hutchinson's alma mater, Bob Jones
University.

     Elsewhere, Saletan exhibits his own superiority to the rustic peasantry of
Northwest
Arkansas. His flight into "the political wilderness," carried him "over miles of
blackness
uninterrupted by electric light." (The Ozark National Forest, I presume.) On the
ground in
Van Buren, "a suburb of Fort Smith, if you can believe it," Saletan finds the natives
fat,
slovenly, toothless and ignorant. He thinks Jimmie Lou Fisher's name risible and
accuses
Mark Pryor of trying to fool voters into thinking he's David Pryor by using campaign
posters
with only his last name. Evidently, he's seen none of the TV ads where father and son
appear together.

     Meanwhile, Hutchinson may wish voters had him confused with his boyish younger
brother Asa. Without confessing adultery, Tim's been running all over Arkansas saying
God's forgiven him just in time for the election. It's very considerate of the deity,
you've got
to admit, especially as He's widely known in evangelical circles to be permanently
ticked off
at the antichrist, Bill Clinton.

     Which brings us to the nub of the matter. It wasn't Hutchinson's foes who made his
personal life a political issue, it was his own words and actions. A former Baptist
preacher
who ran as a "family values" conservative in 1996, he never said boo as Republicans
unable
to outflank President
Clinton on legitimate public issues, turned his sexual sins into a theatrical
spectacle.

     Who in Washington, some of us asked then, could withstand a federal investigation
of
his intimate life? Not Tim Hutchinson, it's clear. Did Randi get promotions others
deserved?
Pay raises she didn't earn? Was public money spent wooing her? Was she taken on
junkets? Treated to expensive dinners?

     Who cares? Republicans are always eager to talk about "character" when they mean
sex. A spineless hypocrite, Hutchinson cast the first stone, then ran away. Think
he'll take a
tough stand for you? No chance. May he and Randi live happily together somewhere far
from Arkansas.

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>