Subject: Fwd: [4thbranch] Why Gun Control Is Good
Date: 11/2/02 6:50:12 AM

Dear Fourth Branchers,

Just because we need to keep this going around...
**************************

1. Banning guns works, which is why New York, DC, & Chicago
cops need guns.

2. Washington DC's low murder rate of 69 per 100,000 is due to
strict gun control, and Indianapolis' high murder rate of 9 per
100,000 is due to the lack of gun control.

3. Statistics showing high murder rates justify gun control but
statistics showing increasing murder rates after gun control are
"just statistics."

4. The Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, both of which
went into effect in 1994 are responsible for the decrease in
violent crime rates, which have been declining since 1991.

5. We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go
on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a
gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid.

6. The more helpless you are the safer you are from criminals.

7. An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but
if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

8. A woman raped and strangled is morally superior to a woman
with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.

9. When confronted by violent criminals, you should "put up no
defense - give them what they want, or run" (Handgun Control
Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don't Die - People Do, 1981,
p. 125).

10. The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert
advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent
treatises on heart surgery.

11. One should consult an automotive engineer for safer
seatbelts, a civil engineer for a better bridge, a surgeon for
internal medicine, a computer programmer for hard drive
problems, and Sarah Brady for firearms expertise.

12. The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National
Guard, which was created 130 years later, in 1917.

Comment

>From Thomas A. Caldwell, Jr.

I appreciate the humor of your web page. But on point #12, I
must offer this slight correction: Article II of Amendment was
ratified on December 15, 1791--not in 1787, and the National
Guard was created on January 21, 1903--not in 1917. Pease
check Caldwell's Constitutional Chronology at
http://www.USchronology.com

13. The National Guard, federally funded, with bases on federal
land, using federally-owned weapons vehicles buildings and
uniforms, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a "state"
militia.

14. These phrases: "right of the people peaceably to assemble,"
"right of the people to be secure in their homes," "enumerations
herein of certain rights shall not be construed to disparage
others retained by the people," and "The powers not delegated
herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the people"
all refer to individuals, but "the right of the people to keep and
bear arm" refers to the state.

15. "The Constitution is strong and will never change." But we
should ban and seize all guns thereby violating the 2nd, 4th, and
5th Amendments to that Constitution.

16. Rifles and handguns aren't necessary to national defense!
Of course, the army has hundreds of thousands of them.

17. Private citizens shouldn't have handguns, because they
aren't "military weapons", but private citizens shouldn't have
"assault rifles", because they are military weapons.

18. In spite of waiting periods, background checks,
fingerprinting, government forms, etc., guns today are too readily
available, which is responsible for recent school shootings. In
the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's, anyone could buy guns at
hardware stores, army surplus stores, gas stations, variety
stores, Sears mail order, no waiting, no background check, no
fingerprints, no government forms and there were no school
shootings.

19. The NRA's attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign about
kids handling guns is propaganda, but the anti-gun lobby's
attempt to run a "don't touch" campaign is responsible social
activity.

20. Guns are so complex that special training is necessary to
use them properly, and so simple to use that they make murder
easy.

21. A handgun, with up to 4 controls, is far too complex for the
typical adult to learn to use, as opposed to an automobile that
only has 20.

22. Women are just as intelligent and capable as men but a
woman with a gun is "an accident waiting to happen" and gun
makers' advertisements aimed at women are "preying on their
fears."

23. Ordinary people in the presence of guns turn into
slaughtering butchers but revert to normal when the weapon is
removed.

24. Guns cause violence, which is why there are so many mass
killings at gun shows.

25. A majority of the population supports gun control, just like a
majority of the population supported owning slaves.

26. Any self-loading small arm can legitimately be considered to
be a "weapon of mass destruction" or an "assault weapon."

27. Most people can't be trusted, so we should have laws
against guns, which most people will abide by because they can
be trusted.

28. The right of Internet pornographers to exist cannot be
questioned because it is constitutionally protected by the Bill of
Rights, but the use of handguns for self defense is not really
protected by the Bill of Rights.

29. Free speech entitles one to own newspapers, transmitters,
computers, and typewriters, but self- defense only justifies bare
hands.

30. The ACLU is good because it uncompromisingly defends
certain parts of the Constitution, and the NRA is bad, because it
defends other parts of the Constitution.

31. Charlton Heston, a movie actor as president of the NRA is a
cheap lunatic who should be ignored, but Michael Douglas, a
movie actor as a representative of Handgun Control, Inc. is an
ambassador for peace who is entitled to an audience at the UN
arms control summit.

32. Police operate with backup within groups, which is why they
need larger capacity pistol magazines than do "civilians" who
must face criminals alone and therefore need less ammunition.

33. We should ban "Saturday Night Specials" and other
inexpensive guns because it's not fair that poor people have
access to guns too.

34. Police officers have some special Jedi-like mastery over
handguns that private citizens can never hope to obtain.

35. Private citizens don't need a gun for self- protection because
the police are there to protect them even though the Supreme
Court says the police are not responsible for their protection.

36. Citizens don't need to carry a gun for personal protection but
police chiefs, who are desk-bound administrators who work in a
building filled with cops, need a gun.

37. "Assault weapons" have no purpose other than to kill large
numbers of people. The police need assault weapons. You do
not.

38. When Microsoft pressures its distributors to give Microsoft
preferential promotion, that's bad; but when the Federal
government pressures cities to buy guns only from Smith &
Wesson, that's good.

39. Trigger locks do not interfere with the ability to use a gun for
defensive purposes, which is why you see police officers with
one on their duty weapon.

40. Handgun Control, Inc., says they want to "keep guns out of
the wrong hands." Guess what? You have the wrong hands.

*****************************
The job of the Watchman is to guard the gates, so that the people can sleep without
worry
and remain free. I ask for your support as I stand on these gates from day to day. You
can
pledge as little or as much as you can like at http://www.4thbranch.com.

I've added a new Sitrep email discussion list to my 4thbranch website. Hope you'll all
sign
up and let us know A) what's going on in your area, such as National Guard activity and
such, and B) where any other places where New Americans can feel safe might be! We
need to get the word out to as many people as possible NOW that something is likely to
curtail their freedom to move at any time, so please forward this to everyone you can!
Meanwhile, I'm posting all my New America articles there right now!

To get on the SitRep Discussion List, go to:

To get to the archives of This List, go to http://www.4thbranch.com/fbnews.htm

~Wayne

"The Fourth Branch of Government, from which all of the other three branches derive
what
limited Constitutional authority they have,is the People!"~Wayne Hicks, from "The
Fourth
Branch of Governemnt"

-------- End of forwarded message --------
From

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>