http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

<PRE>For New Readers: Please read messages after this ewire. These short messages
include how to subscribe and unsubscribe. Also, it appears Topica has begun requiring
all lists to allow them to place their ads at the top of our email messages. At
Network America we have tried to exclude all ads except in relation to politics. Any
messages appearing are solely the responsibility of Topica.</PRE>

<PRE>===========================================================
Did you know Urinary Tract Infections can be easily
stopped gently and naturally? RESULTS GUARANTEED!
<A HREF=" http://click.topica.com/${LOGINFO}/UtopiaSilver
">http://click.topica.com/${LOGINFO}/UtopiaSilver</A>
</PRE>

THIS IS THE SECOND SEND OF THIS EWIRE. MANY OF YOU -- or all of you? --
got unprecedented gibberish and erant numbers in your ewire. I hope this
one comes through clear. A LOT is happening and look for our next
report. The "Radio Ad" campaign has been a bulls-eye -- and the other
side is scrambling on how best to do damage control. Here's the second
send:

November 02, 2002 NA (Network America) e-wire

Real Life: What Local Media Reaction to Our Radio ads means

In case this message is forwarded to new people, here’s a summary:
between October 22, 2002 and November 4, 2002, approximately 210 radio
ads ran on the 50,000 Watt station WKRC (550AM); approximately 108 radio
ads ran on WLW (700 AM) a 50,000 Watt Clear Channel Voice – which
reaches 200 or 300 miles in circumference during the day, and into 38
states and half of Canada at night and overnight; and 15 radio ads are
running on the hard rock station WEBN, 5 ads to “The Class of 2003”
between 8 PM and 1 AM, on each of Friday, Sunday, and Monday before
election day, November 4.

Now, I despise the music and general act of this station, WEBN, which at
other times we have supported boycotts against because of that station’s
suggestive and foul billboards. But this, and two other stations, are
the only ones listened to en masse by the high school seniors and
college age students -- according to all the kids of that age that I
talked to. I did not have anytime to do research on the other radio
stations which play similar “music” – and WEBN was also owned by Clear
Channel, and headquartered in the SAME BUILDING as WKRC and WLW, also
owned by Clear Channel. (For more on this dangerous phenomenon on a few
corporations owning everything in key industries, see “What is the
Hayfield Research? You’d better find out” in our “Votescam” section at
realnews247.com, and “Only Six Corporations Dominate America’s Major
Media Outlets” in the “Who Runs the Media” section at realnews247.com.)

Anyway – during the last two weeks I have not met nor heard of one
person in high school or college who had heard any of our radio ads, or
even heard about them.

But then, tonight, I went to an  “intramural grudge match basketball
game” – all in good fun – between two groups of young men, now of
college age, one group from Indiana and one from Ohio, who in years gone
by had attended the same Christian summer camp. And even at this
gathering, several of the college age students told me they had heard
the ads. And my son, who lives on campus at a university about an hour
from our house, who was participating in the game, told me that a number
of kids at the university had told him they heard the ads on WEBN – all
from five ads run on Friday night.

I don’t like having to use such an avenue, but what choice do we have to
break the censorship at this point? Now thousands and thousands of young
men and women – are hearing that it is Israel and the Israeli lobby that
wants to pull them out of America and send them to fight and die in the
sands of the middle east – in a cause that is not in America’s interest,
and is in fact directly opposed to America’s interest.

Let’s analyze the local media reaction to our surprise attack. As I said
to a WLW executive after the second interruption of our ads: “You are
acting as an enemy agent instead of a referee between points of view.”

But we knew that going in. We know that the only way the messages in our
radio ads would reach the public, is if the law forced the big stations
to play them.

For new readers, to see why the powers that be wanted to block our radio
messages, go to:

http://www.realnews247.com/read_listen_to_ads.htm

Now, here are the lessons I believe should be learned from this
experience:

1. The strategists on the other side can be taken by surprise. They are
implementing their own initiatives, and they often don’t deal with
something until it becomes reality. So many threats of action which they
hear about, never materialize.

2. Once our program began, the first attack was to try and find a
loophole to circumvent the clear intent of the “Reasonable Access” law.
Not really finding one, they pulled the ads “to play it safe” as I was
told. I believe that this was simply to see how far we could be pushed.
If we had not caught the pulling of our ads on October 22, 2002 – then I
believe they would just kept the ads off the air until we noticed.

3. If we did not know the law, and if we did not threaten to go after
their license, they would not have every put our messages back on the
air – even though they knew they were breaking the law, but would have
given us our money back – if we did not know any more than to accept
such a situation.

4. Our ace in the hole was the taping of all the radio shows on which we
bought ads. Knowing probably what we were in for, we had purchased two
Versicorders from the C. Crane Company. These Versicorders takes a sixty
minute tape, and turns it into, in effect, a 240 minute recording. So
one 120 minute tape (60 minutes on each side) – tapes for four hours. We
had bought two of these with $225 of the money you sent to the campaign,
which arrived by overnight on the Friday (October 18th) before the radio
ads began. The utilization of these taping machines let the executives
at Clear Channel know that we had the evidence, and could file to take
over their broadcasting license if they did not fulfill their duties
under the law to run our messages.

5. The American people owe a great debt of gratitude to Nick Landholt,
who left his family in Texas to come up here and work with the campaign
for the last three weeks. Nick has done many things while here – but he
has been the man quietly and carefully – with great dedication and
discipline -- taping all of the radio shows on WKRC and WLW during the
two weeks of the radio ad campaign. EVEN WITH EVERYTHING ELSE, I do not
believe we would have gotten all of our ads played if the executives at
Clear Channel did not know that we had everything on tape, and that we
can verify whether our messages are running, or not, as scheduled. I
could not have done it without him, his coming to Cincinnati was
absolutely Providential. Despite many setbacks and hardships in bringing
this effort to fruition, Nick’s decision and initiative to come up to
Cincinnati for these last few weeks represents the reality that many of
you have come forth as “guardian angels” at just the right time – to
make this effort a success. (Some of you may know Nick from PACE –
Patriots Assuring Clean Elections – and its work in west Texas to win in
a small county, so as to provide a model of how a county would implement
constitutional government in 2002.)

6. Once the Clear Channel executives were stuck with playing the
messages --- on radio stations devoted supposedly to discussing the
controversial issues of the day – a decision had to be made on what to
say, if anything, regarding the ads that were playing almost every hour
in the midst of their programming. The decision made was to have the
talk show hosts announce regularly that the stations were forced to run
all federal political ads by law. While the stations run tons of
political ads every year – this is the first time ever that they have
made such explanations of the “Reasonable Access” law to the listeners –
because they could not appear to endorse the ads by total silence. Often
these explanations are combined with implied insults towards myself and
the ads, and a few times more direct insults, but really not that bad.
This means the understanding is somehow about at these stations not to
call any more attention than need be to our messages. The more driven to
the website, the worse, as far as they are concerned.  The only
exceptions is that the talk show hosts respond to callers who segway
into our ads after talking about other subjects; the host responds, and
moves on. Two of the talk show hosts, Steve Sommers who does the weekend
overnight show, and Bill Cunningham, have advised objectors that this is
freedom of speech, and something that should not be abridged by the
station.

7. I had hoped to force a few weeks of vigorous discussion locally, and
some controversy nationally, regarding the issues we are raising. But
the powers that be – wisely – from their point of view, decided not to
have even one hour in the last few weeks discussing our ads on local
talk radio. Had they done so, they may have found that in the range of
50% of the calls would have gone in our favor, and they would have
driven thousands of more people to our website where those seeking the
truth would have found information they will never find in the major
media. In this case, though, the strategy is so on point that whatever
the local stations did, they are losing ground. One talk show host said
they will discuss the ads the Wednesday after the election – but some of
my associates doubt that this will be the case. Ignoring such dynamite
information is their best defense, although the party line they push, is
wounded either way. We’ll keep you posted.

8. There is one other aspect here: I conclude that the national media
does NOT want to draw attention to the Reasonable Access law. Their
worst nightmare is 100 plus candidates running in every major media
market in the USA – using the same strategy used in the “Jim Condit Jr.
for Congress campaign” this year – but to raise many issues that we did
not have the time or resources to raise this year (without diluting our
effectiveness in a two week campaign). Any coverage of our campaign and
radio ads would have drawn attention to this law.

So, censorship or “ignoring” is always the first strategy – and ridicule
and attack is the second when the subject cannot be ignored anymore. In
this case, the “ignoring” of our omnipresent radio ads by WLW and WKRC
is also a kind of a compliment by the local media, as it indicates that,
despite almost 14 months of warmongering talk and Bush
administration/Israel cheerleading – the stations did not feel competent
to take on our messages taking up 10 to 20 minutes a day – with the
other 23 hours of programming they put on.

The goal for the next two years will be elaborated more tomorrow, but it
is clearly to get congressional candidates to run in all 100 plus major
media markets and air the messages which break the Big Media censorship,
and which America needs to hear.

What follows is a copy of the letter and fax we sent to the FCC last
week, to the lay the groundwork for any action we may have to take if
our contract is not fulfilled by WLW and WKRC. And then at the end is
the information needed to make a contribution to the campaign or the
effort for the next two years, as we still have many expenses ancillary
to the radio ad which I need to take care of as soon as possible.

Here is the letter and fax to the FCC; the first letter was sent October
30, 2002:

Dear FCC:

    This letter is just to give you some written record of what could be a
problem between my congressional campaign and the radio stations WLW
(700 AM) and WKRC (550 AM), both owned by Clear Channel and based in
Cincinnati, Ohio at 1111 St. Gregory St..

    We are audio-taping every minute of every radio show we bought radio
ads on with the versicorder from C. Crane Company, which records 4 hours
of programming at a time per 60 minute side of an audio tape. We decided
to do this before we bought any radio ads to insure that the radio ads
our supporters paid for – actually aired as directed.

    The only thing that matters is that the radio spots are aired as
bought, within the guidelines set by the FCC and the law, by midnight of
Monday, November 4, 2002 – when all political advertising comes to an
end on these radio stations.

    At this time, we believe that the contract will be fulfilled, and we
have every expectation that this will be so. However, there are several
incidents which have occurred which cause us to be concerned.

    First, our non-preemptible ads were pulled without warning to us at 6
PM on October, 22, 2002 from the WLW schedule. Seven of our
non-pre-emptible ads were pre-empted and pulled between 6 PM on October
22, 2002 and 6 AM on October 23, 2002. This was absolutely against
federal law, and is the type of “letter of the law” violation that could
trigger a loss of FCC license for a radio station.

    The executive who tells me he decided to pull our ads had talked to me
at 5 PM asking me to voluntarily pull the radio call letters for WLW and
WKRC from our web page, which I gladly did. Why the concern over our ads
was not mentioned at 5 PM, but the ads were pulled at 6 PM that day –
causes me concern. I have no trouble believing that WLW and WRKC
management was coming under pressure because of the content of our radio
ads – but that is the very reason for the FCC regulations and the laws
in this regard. I had presented both stations with the papers from the
Hamilton County Board of Elections proving that I was a legal
congressional candidate (federal candidate), and these papers clearly
showed I was a write-in candidate.

    Next: On October 25, 2002, we found that our schedule at WKRC was
changed at 5 AM in the morning, even though the right ads were being
played from 12 midnight to 5 AM. Now, it is highly unlikely that the
computers themselves suddenly switched the schedule backed to the
previous day, thus interrupting our intended campaign progression. The
program director I was referred to, expressed bewilderment at how the
radio ads were changed. These are now being made up, however, and we
have heard some of the make-ups.
    On October 29, 2002, we found that our radio ads were again not
playing. When I called the next morning at about 9:00 AM, I found that
the certified bank check for over $3000, and our letter expressing which
radio ads to play – had purportedly been “not received” even though I
had delivered both with witnesses on the previous Thursday evening,
October 24, 2002, at about 5:05 PM. When I threatened to call the FCC, I
was gruffly told by an executive, ‘FAX THEM OVER, and we’ll play them.”
I said I was faxing nothing, because we had already delivered
everything, but I would call the FCC, and within 15 seconds the
certified check and the instructions were suddenly “found” and . . .
well, I am supposed to be infused with confidence from such a
performance?

    I was then told in that same day that this was a public service the
stations were performing (dealing with federal political radio ads),
which it is not, it is a legal responsibility (although a big, big
headache, no doubt) of FCC licensed stations to insure a robust
political debate on the issues of the day under the first amendment.
Again, I wonder if someone at the station isn’t just trying to push me
to see how gullible I and my campaign are, and then backing down once it
is realized we know the law.

    Next, I was told by an executive that since we had bought pre-emptible
ads for the second week on both WLW and WKRC – that they didn’t have to
play any of them. In truth, per the documentation that Mark Berlin
kindly provided me, all pre-emptible ads must be played in the same day
part during some day before the election. Again, I wonder, does the
station not know this? Or what?

    Now, I have not used the name of anyone in this communication, because
a) all of the ladies have been most cooperative, although at times I
have felt they were under duress; b) I do not know if the person who
told me this or that, was himself or herself under duress from their own
boss, in which case I do not want to shed bad light on them.

    Also, neither myself nor my campaign wants to get into litigation or
filing for the license of WLW or WKRC. All we want is for our radio ads
to be played as ordered by the close of the advertising period of this
election at midnight Monday, November 4, 2002. However, if we find upon
reviewing our tapes that our contract has not been fulfilled, then we
will file for the license of the offending station, and litigate with
the full and total vigor that such a situation would demand. We would do
so to defend the right of our donors to speak through their candidate;
we would do so to defend the right of every federal candidate to reach
the public through the publicly licensed airwaves, a most important
feature of the freedom enjoyed in the United States of America; and we
would do so because a station who would not fulfill such a serious
obligation to the candidate and people of America --- would need to have
its FCC license revoked.

    Now – be it noted that we bought pre-emptible radio ads on WKRC from
October 22 to November 4 - - the entire schedule. And pre-emptible ads
on WLW from October 29 to Nov 4. So it is within the prerogative of
Clear Channel to play these ads at any time up until Monday, November
4th, provided that they are played on the daypart we ordered in the buy.
(I am providing the information which Mark Berlin sent me from the FCC
on this point to Clear Channel at 1111 St. Gregory St., in the packet
with the copy of this letter.)

    However, since the spirit of the “Reasonable” access law is that the
federal candidate be treated in like manner as the business customers,
then it seems reasonable that our campaign be provided the “minimal
separation” that is customarily accorded to businesses, i.e., not
jamming a lot of spots in a half hour, and a reasonable distribution of
the campaign’s ads over the time in each day part. I must say that we
have been very pleased with the time distribution of our radio ads, with
the exception of the few glitches or lapses noted above.

    In conclusion, we are not trying to be unreasonable, nor are we unaware
of the pressures which the radio stations are under everyday, and
especially in the political season. However, it is a necessary and a
serious matter that the contracts of federal candidates be fulfilled as
ordered, and we are thus submitting this letter to the FCC to update the
happenings between WLW and WKRC in this campaign. We do have every
expectation that all make ups will be made and all of the order will be
fulfilled by the end of political advertising at midnight, November 4,
2002, and we certainly hope that this will prove to be the case.

Sincerely,

Jim Condit Jr.
Congressional Candidate 2nd District of Ohio

Here is the fax sent the next day to the FCC, as an addendum:

FAX         October 31, 2002