http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>

--- Begin Message ---

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/KlSolB/TM

"It’s a fatal paradox that a war on drugs is imposed on the Colombian
people, while in the United States some of its citizens can use the
instrument of referendum to deal with this spiny issue: through this route,
democracy ends up being a strange and discriminatory privilege for the
societies of the world: The anglo-saxons get citizen participation while the
countries to the South get a devastating war...

"Because we believe in the universal character of democracy, and because we
understand that after more than four decades of the drug war its results are
an absolute failure, we propose the continuation of a worldwide battle for
drug legalization.... The United States speaks to us in this way: We conduct
their war, we supply the deaths, we devastate the Amazon, and they
consolidate their economy by incorporating millions of narco-dollars."

- José Cuesta
A Colombian's Call for a Referendum on Drug Legalization

November 6, 2002
Please Distribute Widely

Dear Colleagues,

While yesterday’s marijuana legalization referendum did not win in the State
of Nevada, other drug reform referenda did pass in other parts of the United
States.

Authentic Journalist Ann Harrison, reporting for Agence France Presse, notes
that the boldest and most significant of yesterday’s referendum questions –
in which voters of the Californian city of San Francisco instructed their
government to start growing marijuana – passed by a landslide of 63 percent
of the vote.

Harrison, a member of our faculty at the Narco News School of Authentic
Journalism, reports for AFP…

"San Francisco, CA, (AFP) Nov. 5 -- The city of San Francisco may soon begin
cultivating their own lush crop of world-renowned California marijuana.
Voters here have enthusiastically supported a ballot measure directing their
city officials to consider growing and distributing medical cannabis.

"Proposition S, which passed by 63%, could make San Francisco the first city
in US to provide cannabis for sick people.  It will also put the city, and
the state of California, on a direct collision course with the federal
government..."

Contrast Harrison’s report with what exiled Colombian journalist Alfredo
Molano told Narco News during an interview in Barcelona three summers ago:

“Legalization is something that all the large sectors of my country support.
To create a legalization movement would be very important. About two years
ago a man named Carlos Alonzo collected a million signatures to put
legalization on the ballot. And the government challenged it, complicated
it, created legal traps to prevent this from coming to a referendum. Because
it would have been a very high vote for legalization, they did not allow it
to happen.”

Today, Colombian citizens will be protesting outside of the U.S. Embassy in
Bogotá. They want their own right to vote on the drug war, imposed upon
their country by an outside power and its own “leaders” installed through
“elections” that have been neither free, nor fair, and held in an atmosphere
of violence and intimidation.

At the same time, they’ve asked those of us outside of Colombia to let the
Colombian government know that their message is being heard.

Narco News almost never asks readers to conduct letter-writing campaigns.
(The last time we did this, a year ago, the flood of emails to Bolivian
officials – a volume that inadvertently shut down the State email system for
a number of hours – helped get labor leader Oscar Oliveira out of prison in
a snap.

Today, the Colombian people – who have a hard time gaining coverage in the
commercial press of their region for their legitimate grievances – seek our
help for the global email referendum for drug legalization. Email addresses
of the top Colombian officials – don’t worry about what language, the
narco-president and much of his team, being from the oligarchy, speak
English fluently – appear below the following text.

We’re proud to translate and publish Colombian citizen José Cuesta’s
articulate manifesto today, demanding the right to vote on the “drug war”
that is the pretext for so much harm, as he points out, to peace, justice,
human rights, the environment, clean government and authentic democracy in
Colombia.

Kind readers: Lend them a hand. Send emails to the narco-president Alvaro
Uribe and the rest of his team. Let them know that today’s vigil outside of
the U.S. Embassy in Bogotá is joined around the world.

North Americans, in particular, who have the right to vote on referendum
issues in 26 states, should protest loudly that democracy has been
selectively rationed. Shouldn’t Colombia’s citizenry, which pays the high
price for war-mongering drug policies imposed on their country by
Washington, have the same rights exercised yesterday in San Francisco and
elsewhere?

For your convenience, here are the addresses all laid out together, for
convenient copying and pasting into your emails:

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(We tested the email addresses suggested by our Colombian colleagues this
morning. Apparently the local campaign has already exceeded the entire email
storage capacity in Colombia’s Interior and Justice Ministries already.
What remains above are those official addresses still receiving mail from
national and international constituents.)

Read José Cuesta's powerful manifesto for a Drug Legalization Referendum in
Colombia:

http://www.narconews.com/

>From somewhere in a country called América,

Al Giordano
Publisher
The Narco News Bulletin
http://www.narconews.com/

Subscribe for free alerts of new reports:

Suscríbete gratis para alertas de reportajes nuevos en Español:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]