From: "FAIR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FAIR-L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fwd: Limbaugh's Liberal Media Proof: Too Good To Be True
Date: 11/7/02 10:44:52 AM

                                 FAIR-L
                    Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
               Media analysis, critiques and activism

MEDIA ADVISORY:
Limbaugh's Liberal Media Proof: Too Good To Be True

November 7, 2002

On the topic of biased or inadequate media coverage of the elections,
conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh had a noteworthy take: On his
November 4 radio show, he claimed that the New York Times was apparently
hiding a news report favorable to Republicans.

The Times reported that Republican candidates were likely to win some key
Congressional races.  According to Limbaugh, "In fact, you can't find this
story.  You know where I found this New York Times story? In some little
paper, like the Oshkosh Gazette or something. But it's an Adam Clymer
story.... I can't find it in the Times, but the Times guy wrote it.  It's
so good for the Republicans, I don't think it made the Times, and went out
on a New York Times wire service or news service, I think."

The problem with Limbaugh's media analysis?  Clymer's report, "Control of
House Expected to Stay in Hands of G.O.P.," was printed on the front page
of the Times on November 4-- the same day Limbaugh was on the airwaves
telling his listeners that he couldn't find the story in the Times.  It
appeared in the top right-hand column of the paper-- the spot the paper
reserves for what it considers its most important stories.

Despite his questionable observation skills, Limbaugh was a featured
analyst on NBC during its election night coverage.

To read the Times story that Limbaugh apparently couldn't find, go to:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/04/politics/campaigns/04HOUS.html
(*registration required)

Below is Limbaugh's analysis as it appeared on his website:
-----

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_110402/content/stack_b.guest.html

Clymer Election Exam Doesn't Make Times

November 4, 2002

The New York Times has an interesting story dated November 3rd, citing a
generic poll that comes out in favor of the GOP, by 51% - 49%. Our old pal
Adam Clymer wrote the piece, which is full of good news for Republicans.

Clymer's examination of the election shows that Republicans are going to
gain in the House, with the Senate still up for grabs. Here's a quote:
"Republicans are poised to buck history and make slim gains in the House
of Representatives on Tuesday, according to analyses by campaign officials
of both parties, the latest polls, and reports from political experts
around the country."

The thing that's really interesting is that you can't find this story in
the Times. I found it in the Montpelier Times-Argus in Vermont. It's an
Adam Clymer story, but it's not in the Times. It's so good for the
Republicans, they must have left it out of the paper, but it went out on
the New York Times wire service.

      ----------
Please support FAIR by subscribing to our bimonthly magazine, Extra! For more
information, go to: http://www.fair.org/extra/subscribe.html . Or call 1-800-847-3993.

FAIR SHIRTS: Get your "Don't Trust the Corporate Media" shirt today at FAIR's online
store:
http://www.merchantamerica.com/fair/

FAIR produces CounterSpin, a weekly radio show heard on over 130 stations in the U.S.
and Canada. To find the CounterSpin station nearest you, visit
http://www.fair.org/counterspin/stations.html .

FAIR's INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: FAIR accepts internship applications for its New York office
on a rolling basis. For more information, see: http://www.fair.org/internships.html

Feel free to respond to FAIR ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] ). We can't reply to everything, but we
will look
at each message. We especially appreciate documented examples of media bias or
censorship. And please send copies of your email correspondence with media outlets,
including any responses, to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

You can subscribe to FAIR-L at our web site: http://www.fair.org . Our subscriber list
is
kept confidential.
                                  FAIR
                             (212) 633-6700
                          http://www.fair.org/
                          E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
You are currently subscribed to fair-l as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-------- End of forwarded message --------
From

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>