-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200211
\CUL20021108a.html

Group Lumps Conservatives with Klansmen and Neo-Nazis
By Michael L. Betsch
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
November 08, 2002

(CNSNews.com) - The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) claims its organizational mission is
"expose and combat the purveyors of hatred in our midst." However, some conservatives
say they are offended by the ADL's deliberate efforts to equate the right wing with
hate
groups such as the Ku Klux Klan and Nazi Low Riders.

The ADL maintains an extensive database of information on a broad range of "dangerous
extremists" and closely monitors the nationwide activities of the predominantly
anti-Semitic,
white supremacist organizations. The group's website also features a calendar of
"Upcoming Extremist Events" in order to alert concerned citizens across the country of
hate
gatherings occurring in their cities and towns.

Yet some question why the ADL has issued a warning for the Free American's 2002 Home-
Land Security Expo that will take place in McDonough, Georgia, from Nov. 8-10.

The Georgia event is billed as an "exposition and book fair" and will feature lectures
by
notable conservative commentators Tom DeWeese of the American Policy Center and Larry
Pratt, president of Gun Owners of America. CNSNews.com asked the ADL to define the
extremist threat that the Home- Land Security Expo poses to America.

Define 'Extremist'

"I don't know that the ADL has a formal definition for the term 'extremist'," said Mark
Pitcavage, director of fact finding for the ADL. "But you can typically use the rougher
definition of someone whose views are so far out of the mainstream that they have
effectively disenfranchised themselves simply because so few people agree with them,"
he
said.

Pitcavage said the ADL has labeled the Home-Land Security Expo an extremist event
because most of the participants and vendors are right-wing extremists, white
supremacists, anti-government extremists, and conspiracy theorists. And, he said the
event
closely resembles the Y2K "preparedness" trade shows of the 1990s.

"The preparedness expos of the 1990s were sort of traveling trade fairs for
survivalists and
right wing extremists," Pitcavage explained. He said those expos typically featured
booths
exhibiting survival products such as "dried beans" and "shark cartilage" pills;
right-wing
extremists, tax protesters and militias; and white supremacists selling books and other
items.

Pitcavage said the ADL is concerned that the Home-Land Security Expo's organizer, Clay
Douglas, is trying to revive the extremist trade shows. Douglas is also the founder of
the
Free American, which the ADL has deemed a "conspiracy-oriented magazine that focuses
on anti-government and anti-Semitic theories."

Conservatives Defend Their Honor

DeWeese, who will discuss the issue of sustainable development at the Home-Land
Security
Expo, said he never would have accepted Douglas' invitation to speak at the event if
he was
anti-Semitic as the ADL accuses him of being.

"I'm massively offended by that and it's wrong," he said. "There is no one who will be
at
this conference who would be a spokesman for anything like that."

DeWeese said he is not surprised that the ADL has labeled the Home-Land Security Expo
an
extremist event. After all, he said the event will feature information that is
important to
people who believe in national sovereignty, limited government and don't like the
United
Nations.

The ADL, he noted, has trouble accepting the notion that conservatives question
government, taxes and the U.N.

"They want to shut us up," DeWeese said of the ADL. "We have no point that should be
exposed; we should not be allowed to speak out on these things because it's dangerous
peace on earth.

"We are told that we are not allowed to have our point of view; that that just is not
to be
discussed in polite society, that we are extremists, that we are dangerous, that this
is the
reason why we have trouble in this country," DeWeese said. "Well, yeah, it's probably
true
because we say, 'No,' to these things and they don't want that."

Pratt, from Gun Owners of America, also said he was offended that the ADL would equate
the Home- Land Security Expo with hate groups. He has been invited to discuss Second
Amendment issues at the weekend event.

Pratt said the ADL is experiencing the same problem the Federal Bureau of Investigation
faced prior to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Before then, Pratt said, the conviction
had
always been that the threat to America came from conservatives and the "vast right wing
conspiracy" that Hilary Clinton feared.

"The ADL has got its similar, ultra-liberal blinders on," Pratt said. "For them,
anything to the
right of Hilary Clinton is a massive threat to the security of the commonwealth."

Pratt said the ADL has never understood that people might want to take care of
themselves
rather than rely on the government to care for them. Contrary to the liberal ideology
of the
ADL, he said those who attend the Home-Land Security Expo are more than likely of the
mindset, "No, I think I'll do it myself."

E-mail a news tip to Michael L. Betsch.

Send a Letter to the Editor about this article.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>