-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I guess it's an improvement -- now they only want to kill SOME Jews, instead of all
Jews.......... <sigh>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Islamic Jihad Leader Killed in West Bank

November 9, 2002
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 8:10 a.m. ET

JERUSALEM (AP) -- A senior member of the militant Islamic
Jihad group was killed in an overnight army operation in
the West Bank on Saturday, Israeli security sources said.

Iyad Sawalha died during an exchange of gunfire at his
house in the town of Jenin. Israel has accused Sawalha of
orchestrating attacks that killed 31 Israelis.

The operation came as Palestinian groups were to meet over
the weekend in Cairo to discuss ending attacks inside
Israel, officials from Fatah, Yasser Arafat's movement,
said.

A Fatah delegation plans to demand that the militant group
Hamas restrict attacks to Jewish settlers and Israeli
soldiers in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, instead of all
Israelis, a senior Fatah official said Friday, speaking on
condition of anonymity.

The Jenin operation was a joint exercise between the
Israeli security service and army, Israeli security sources
said on condition of anonymity. They tracked Sawalha to a
house in Jenin -- his home was demolished by troops in
August -- and called for him to come out. Only his wife
came out of the building.

Next-door neighbor Soha Ekmel, who was up early to prepare
for Suhur -- the morning meal before the day-long fast for
the holy month of Ramadan -- said troops entered her home
and took her husband, Khaled.

``They told his (Sawalha's) wife to tell him to come out. I
heard her say 'Iyad, please come out, they're threatening
to kill me if you don't.' There was no answer, and they
asked Khaled to do the same,'' Ekmel told The Associated
Press. The army would not comment on the report.

At one point Sawalha lobbed a hand grenade toward the
troops, lightly injuring two soldiers. After a drawn-out
gunbattle Sawalha was shot and killed. Sawalha's wife and
Khaled Ekmel were taken away, Soha Ekmel said.

The army said Sawalha was responsible for two suicide
attacks, one in June, a bus bombing that killed 17
Israelis, and another last month, when two teenagers drove
a car laden with explosives into a bus in northern Israel,
killing 14 Israelis.

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat criticized the operation.

``It is a very big crime that was committed through
military aggression against our people and against our
(religious) holidays,'' Arafat told reporters at his
Ramallah headquarters.

Israel reoccupied Jenin almost three weeks ago in a bid to
track down militant groups after the Oct. 25 suicide
bombing claimed by Islamic Jihad.

Meanwhile, there were disagreements even before the
Palestinian talks started in Cairo.

Moussa Abu Marzouk, a member of the Hamas politburo who
will lead its delegation, told reporters in Damascus this
week that he hoped Fatah would not demand Hamas end its
attacks inside Israel. He said the focus should be on
ending disputes between the two factions and unifying
Palestinians.

The head Fatah delegate said he was hopeful progress would
be made.

``This is a very important meeting and we are looking
forward to making it successful,'' said Ahmed Ghneim. ``I
am optimistic and I think that we can reach an agreement
with Hamas.''

Arafat has regularly condemned suicide attacks against
civilians inside Israel, while Hamas argues the use of
bomb-carrying attackers is necessary because Palestinians
have no other effective means against the better-armed
Israeli army.

However, the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, a militant group with
links to Fatah, has carried out several suicide bombings in
Israel.

Separately, the Palestinians prepared to submit a written
response to a U.S.-backed peace plan next week, officials
said. Despite Palestinian reservations, Planning Minister
Nabil Shaath said every effort would be made not to
``sabotage'' the latest peace initiative.

The plan calls for sweeping Palestinian reforms, an Israeli
troop pullback, a freeze in Jewish settlement construction
and a provisional Palestinian state by 2003, followed by
full independence in 2005.

Arafat said Israel could not afford to reject the peace
plan -- an apparent response to Israeli Foreign Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu who said the U.S. plan was not relevant
as long as war with Iraq was pending.

U.S. envoy David Satterfield is expected in the region next
week to talk to both sides about the plan.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Israel-Palestinians.html?ex=1037852348&ei=1&en=3006892ac05b4ca9

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>