-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Congressional Leaders Promise Quick Move on Security Measure

November 9, 2002
By ELISABETH BUMILLER

WASHINGTON, Nov. 8 - Congressional leaders said today that
they would bow to President Bush's demand to try to pass a
bill creating a Department of Homeland Security by the end
of the year.

Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi, the incoming Republican
majority leader, and Speaker J. Dennis Hastert of Illinois
made the announcement in the White House driveway after
lunch with Mr. Bush.

"He feels very strongly about this," Mr. Lott said.

Mr.
Hastert said, "We're going to look at every way we can to
get this legislation done."

Their acceptance of the move for quick passage was the
first legislative muscle-flexing by the White House after
the Republican victories in this week's midterm elections.
Mr. Lott at first did not want to pass the legislation this
year, but the president did, and the president won.

More specifically, Mr. Lott said on Wednesday that he hoped
to put off major legislation until a new session of
Congress begins in January and to wrap up the lame-duck
session that begins next week in just a few days.

"I'm not an advocate of lame-duck sessions, whether I'm in
the minority or the majority," he said.

White House officials said Mr. Bush telephoned Mr. Lott
after his remarks. Then on Thursday, in his first public
remarks after the election, Mr. Bush said that his No. 1
legislative priority was creating the Department of
Homeland Security, right now.

White House officials said today that the president
displayed no irritation with Mr. Lott at the lunch but was
firm that the legislation be passed quickly.

"If you don't get it done now," an administration official
said, "you start totally over again. You will relitigate
issues, and it will take months, no matter which way you
cut it."

The bill creating the department has been hung up in the
Democratic-controlled Senate for months because of a
dispute with the White House over worker protections. But
even with the Senate moving into Republican hands, it is
unclear if, and how quickly, Mr. Bush will get what he
wants.

Congress is scheduled to begin its lame-duck session on
Tuesday with Democrats still in charge, since most of the
new senators will not take office until January. Senator
Tom Daschle, the Democratic leader, favors creating the
department but is insistent on worker protection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/politics/09BUSH.html?ex=1037852930&ei=1&en=2ee5a7828a6303f1

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>