-Caveat Lector-

An excellent commentary on reasons to not abandon hope.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/11.11B.jvb.silent.htm

The Silent World
by Jennifer Van Bergen
t r u t h o u t | Commentary

Sunday, 10 November 2002

It is as though the world around me has become silent. On election day
and the entire day after, it seemed no one called, no one wrote. The one
or two people I did speak to - one being a doctor who is well-known for
his research into the biological and chemical effects of trauma on the
brain - told me they were having trouble with their servers or email. An
email I had sent late on November 4 and copied to myself, did not show
up until late in the day on November 5. But there was not even word from
service providers that anything was wrong. Just silence.

Whatever the electronic reasons (overloaded lines?), the silence of
people is in fact a growing cacophony - like a quiet, little
subterranean brook that begins to murmur as it tumbles over underground
rocks before it emerges and reaches toward an open precipice.

In the writing classes I teach at The New School University (a.k.a. The
New School for Social Research) in New York City, there is an exercise I
give that involves "two universes of discourse." (I call it the UoD
exercise.) I ask students to watch two movies from a list of selected
films. The list includes ghost movies such as Ghost, Sixth Sense, Stir
of Echoes, The Haunting, Always, and The Others. It also includes other
selected films such as The Insider, Fight Club, The Long Kiss Goodnight,
Communion, Dead Zone, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Frequency, The Mothman
Prophecies, and Field of Dreams.1

If you have seen any of these films, you might recognize that each have
two "worlds." One is visible, one is invisible. Or rather, people in the
invisible world can see both worlds; those in the visible world can see
only themselves and their world. (The invisible world, thus, is only
invisible to the "visible" world, and the visible world is visible to
both.)

These movies capture something that is going on now in our country.
Indeed, it always goes on, but as common ground is increasingly
abandoned, the rift between the two worlds is increasing as well.

What are these worlds? For one, Islam and Christian nations. For
another, the rich and the poor. Yet another, Republicans and Democrats.
And now even the American Empire and the rest of the West.

Yet, Republicans now rule Congress. Does that mean there is only one
world now? The Republicans (the self-declared people of the bright and
light) have finally detached themselves from the clinging umbrage and
pushed the people of the twilight deeper into the shadows?

No. All it means is that one world has been made silent and invisible to
the other.

But, if you know anything about psychology, or if you carefully watch a
few of the movies from my list, you will know that the invisible world
cannot be eradicated by being silenced. Repression causes an increase in
the repressed energies.

The only adequate solution to the continued co-existence of the two
worlds is constant dialogue.2 This is not as easy as it sounds. It
requires that we look into the unknown and dredge.

Notice how frightening the invisible world is. Ghosts and vampires scare
the living. FBI agents scare ordinary people. Alter personalities scare
the host. Psychic messages scare the psychic. Communications from an
alternate universe or time scare the recipient.3

But this fear exists only until the content of the invisible world is
absorbed by the visible one. If the messages of the invisible world are
ignored, they increase and increase until some catastrophic event
occurs, some explosion, in which the buried information spews out
untidily onto the hitherto clean and neat visible world, wreaking havoc.

I have spoken about the two-universe phenomenon before various groups
here in Florida and last weekend at a conference at Loyola University in
Illinois sponsored by Chicago Media Watch. The response I get is not
loud. Not yet. People absorb and go off to think about it, as they
should.

It is easy to think that there must be visible activity for there to be
any activity at all. The truth is, most wonderful things in the world
grow from inside and underneath.

I realize there is an apparent contradiction when I say that repression
results in eventual catastrophe, while noting that wonderful things grow
from inside and underneath. The point is that wonderful things grow from
inside and underneath when they are not repressed, when they are allowed
to grow and are accessed as they emerge.

How many people have any idea what Islam thinks? Have we read their news
or their personal scrips? When was the last time a Republican listened
to a Democrat? (The phrase, "Get over it!" says it all.)

What the Republicans do not yet know is that they are creating a
revolution. It is true that they may also create war, and this is very
sad and terrible for ALL of us, with repercussions far into the future.
Of course, every thinking and ethical person must oppose this avaricious
belligerence.

However, every disenfranchisement of a mass of people simply increases
their resolve and solidarity. Bush is creating an inevitability that is
beyond even a radical's grasp.

-------

1 Note: not all movies with two worlds are proper UoD films. Anyone who
wants to check a film with me, feel free to write me about it.

2 By the way, the two worlds are NOT diametric opposites, contrary to
popular belief. Note also that these footnotes act in somewhat the same
way with respect to the main text as an invisible world to a visible
world.

3 This is not to mention how scary is the mere fact of two worlds. By
definition, UoD's always involve something unknown and in the dark.

Jennifer Van Bergen is a contributing writer for truthout. She has a law
degree from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York, and is a
faculty member of the New School University in New York where she
teaches in the writing program.

                                       © : t r u t h o u t 2002

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>