-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.sptimes.com/News/110801/State/Voting_machine_scanda.shtml

Weather | Sports | Forums | Comics | Classifieds | Calendar | Movies

Voting machine scandal upsets commissioners in two counties

Indian River voids its contract after finding out a Sequoia Voting Systems executive
faces
indictment in a voting equipment scandal.

By DEBORAH O'NEIL

© St. Petersburg Times, published November 8, 2001

Indian River voids its contract after finding out a Sequoia Voting Systems executive
faces
indictment in a voting equipment scandal.

Two counties on Florida's east coast are angry over Sequoia Voting Systems' failure to
reveal that one of its top executives is under indictment in a voting equipment
scandal.

News of the criminal charges already has jeopardized a $15.5-million contract in
Pinellas
County and sparked questions in Hillsborough County, where Sequoia also wants to sell
its
electronic voting machines.

On Tuesday, Indian River County leaders voided a $2-million contract with Sequoia,
furious
that they were not told before signing the deal that the man they negotiated with is
charged
in a Louisiana money laundering and corruption conspiracy.

"They did something that was unconscionable in dealing with the public . . . not
informing
us this gentleman was indicted," said county Commissioner John Tippin. "It's going to
take a
near miracle, I think, for us to do business with this company."

And some Palm Beach County commissioners are steamed that Elections Supervisor
Theresa LePore didn't tell them about the charges before they inked a deal in
September.

"I didn't think it was relevant," LePore said in an interview. "I signed the contract,
not the
commissioners. They trust me to make the right decision."

When told of the charges, Commissioner Burt Aaronson sputtered Wednesday, "I'm
appalled. . . . She didn't think it was relevant?"

News of the indictment against Sequoia executive Phil Foster reached Indian River
elected
officials last week after it was reported in the St. Petersburg Times. The contract
with
California- based Sequoia had been approved Oct. 23.

"If our community had known ahead of time, I know our community would not have voted
on it," said Indian River Commissioner Fran Adams. "This is not a parking ticket. It's
a very
serious charge in terms of public service."

Revelations about Foster sent a similar jolt through Pinellas, where officials learned
of his
charges the day before they were set to award Sequoia a contract. The county now is
conducting extensive background checks on the companies bidding in Pinellas, as well as
some of their employees. Commissioners have scheduled a discussion on the contract for
Nov. 20.

Foster is charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit money laundering and one
count
of conspiracy to commit malfeasance in office. No trial date has been set.

Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch said he understands Indian River's frustration.

"If you know up front, it's on the table," Welch said. "For Indian River, you already
made an
agreement and you find this out -- I can understand their wanting to rescind the
contract."

Pinellas Commissioner Susan Latvala said Foster's indictment is "a terrible thing to
find
out." Still, she said, she doesn't want to hold the equipment responsible for
allegations
involving one person.

"I think it's tragic they made the decision -- obviously they thought they were the
best
machines -- and now they're rescinding it because of a person who hasn't been
convicted,"
Latvala said.

Indian River County notified Sequoia on Tuesday that it was severing the contract,
citing a
legal technicality. Sequoia officials disputed the legal issue in a written response
to Indian
River, stating that the company "does not accept the board's unlawful declaration that
the
agreement is void."

Sequoia has stood by Foster and said he is innocent. The company also assumed that
Foster's indictment was public knowledge, officials have said.

"It's an unfortunate situation that they feel they haven't gotten the information when
they
need it," said Kathryn Ferguson, Sequoia vice president of government relations and
public
affairs.

Sequoia and Indian River officials are planning to discuss the issue Friday and again
at a
public meeting later this month. Ferguson said the company is looking forward to the
opportunity to address Indian River leaders.

"I think it will be good to bring it all out," she said. "We thought it was in the
open.
Obviously it wasn't to the extent we thought it was."

County leaders say they want Sequoia to give an explanation and an apology. But it
might
not be enough to change their minds.

"This is no way to do business," said Commissioner Ruth Stanbridge. "Even if they had
supreme confidence in him, they should never jeopardize their integrity. I think it's
contaminated the whole thing."

-- The South Florida Sun-Sentinel contributed to this report.

Business | Citrus | Commentary | Entertainment
Hernando |Floridian |Obituaries |Pasco |Sports
State |Tampa Bay |World & Nation

© Copyright 2001 St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>