-Caveat Lector-

Warner Wants to Boost Military Role
http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-chairman-
warner1113nov13,0,5308682.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dpolitics%2Dheadlines
 Email this story

Investigators
By KEN GUGGENHEIM

Associated Press Writer

November 13, 2002, 3:41 AM EST

WASHINGTON -- The senator likely to head the Armed

Services Committee says Congress may need to break down some legal barriers that
prevent soldiers from helping local officials during terrorist attacks and other
national
emergencies.

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., said he would hold hearings to review the 19th century Posse
Comitatus law that restricts the military's involvement in domestic law enforcement.

"If local law enforcement is totally overwhelmed, would not the military be perhaps
the best
to help for that interim period until the local law enforcement can reconstitute
itself?"
Warner said in an interview Tuesday.

In an overview of his priorities, Warner said he wants to help advance the use of
unmanned
airplanes, naval vessels and other vehicles. He also said he will continue to support
President Bush's missile defense plans -- something that at times put him at odds with
the
committee's current chairman, Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich.

About 18 months have passed since Warner last served as the committee's chairman. But
the world has changed since then -- and so has Warner's priorities.

The Sept. 11 attacks "must drive new thinking in the ranks of our military to where
they can
be working partners and of assistance to all of that vast infrastructure that we call
homeland defense," he said.

The legal separations between the military and law enforcement were in the spotlight
recently when military planes were used to help police hunt for the Washington-area
snipers.

Warner said he would proceed cautiously in determining what changes, if any, were
needed to those barriers.

"I think it's very important that people in their civilian communities not view that
the local
military base is going to try to involve themselves in the law enforcement of that
community," he said.

Warner, a former Navy secretary, has served on the Armed Services Committee since his
first term began in 1979 and was its chairman from 1998 until Democrats gained control
of
the Senate last year.

His return to the chairman's position won't likely result in a drastic shift in
priorities for the
committee, analysts said.

"It's not like there's been a great Democratic-Republican war that's about to end,"
said
Gordon Adams, director of Security Policy Studies at George Washington University.

Levin said he and Warner reached agreement on 98 percent of the issues before the
committee and both stressed the need for bipartisan cooperation. "We've worked together
very well, so that will continue," he said in an interview.

Asked about the biggest changes he expects in the committee under Warner's leadership,
Levin said: "Probably I would say we were more willing to be critical of some of the
defense
priorities in the administration than a Republican-led majority would be."

Some of the differences may be more in personality. Warner is more formal and reserved
than Levin.

Warner alluded to the differences himself in a news release last month. After Levin
issued a
news release blaming the White House for delays in approving the defense authorization
bill, Warner issued a three-paragraph response -- declining comment.

"While I respect the opportunity to work with Chairman Levin over these many years,
obviously we have a different style," the release said.

* __

On the Net:

Warner home page: http://warner.senate.gov/

Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press

•How to Subscribe

•How to Advertise

•About Us

•Contact Us

By visiting this site you agree to the terms of the Newsday.com User Agreement. Read
our
Privacy Policy.
Copyright © Newsday, Inc.

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/