-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

F.B.I. Is Harsher to Underlings Than to Bosses, Report Says

November 17, 2002
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 - The Federal Bureau of Investigation
has an uneven punishment system for employees, with senior
managers receiving minor sanctions for misconduct that
would bring stronger penalties for lower-level workers, the
Justice Department inspector general said on Friday.

Among the examples cited in a report: Several F.B.I.
officials under investigation in the fatal shootings at
Ruby Ridge, Idaho, received promotions or bonuses, and
seven senior officials who submitted false travel vouchers
went unpunished.

"We believe that in these cases, F.B.I. senior managers
were afforded different and more favorable treatment than
less senior F.B.I. employees would have received," the
inspector general, Glenn A. Fine, said in the report.

The findings echo contentions of unequal treatment by John
Roberts, unit chief of the agency's Office of Professional
Responsibility. Mr. Roberts made those charges in
Congressional testimony and repeated them last month on "60
Minutes" on CBS. Lawmakers said Mr. Roberts's superiors
retaliated against him.

The F.B.I. said in a statement that the incidents in the
report occurred before August 2000, when it overhauled its
procedures.

"These reforms seek to achieve the F.B.I.'s goal of giving
all employees and the American public complete confidence
in the F.B.I.'s disciplinary system," the agency said.

In one section of the report, the inspector general focused
on the 1992 Ruby Ridge siege, in which the white
supremacist Randy Weaver's wife, Vicki Weaver, was killed
by an agency sharpshooter. A federal marshal and the
Weavers' teenage son were also killed.

Six F.B.I. officials who were involved in the incident
received promotions or bonuses while their actions were
under investigation.

The Justice Department later found that in the Ruby Ridge
inquiry crucial witnesses were not interviewed, and later
performance evaluations "appeared to reward agents for
`correctly' concluding that F.B.I. officials had acted
properly," the report said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/17/politics/17FBI.html?ex=1038506425&ei=1&en=92e18d6538ff18e5

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company