-Caveat Lector-

>From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2473005.stm

Friday, 15 November, 2002, 18:15 GMT
Amazon denies backing Israel

Amazon has cancelled its deal with the Jerusalem Post

Amazon.com has denied it is offering customers

the chance to "support" Israel by buying goods through its website.

The world's largest online retailer has demanded that the Jerusalem Post's online
edition
restract a clearly labelled and prominently displayed advertisement on most of its news
pages.

You may not in any
manner misrepresent or embellish the relationship between us and you... including
expressing or implying that Amazon.com supports, sponsors, endorses or contributes
money to any charity or other cause

Amazon
"They have refused to
comply and as of Thursday we have terminated our agreement," Patty Smith of Amazon
told BBC News Online.

"We have asked them to take it down and if any sales are made through them they won't
receive any commissions."

The chief executive of the Jerusalem Post did not respond to BBC News Online's request
for
an interview.

A source at the paper said the "advertisement" had been not been paid for by Amazon and
half of the commissions from referral sales were paid to charities "that support
Israeli
causes".

False advertising

Amazon operates an "associate" programme that allows websites to earn up to a 15%
referral fee for purchases made through links to the retailer.

But it forbids associates from implying that the deal means they support the websites
ideologically.

"You may not in any manner misrepresent or embellish the relationship between us and
you... including expressing or implying that Amazon.com supports, sponsors, endorses or
contributes money to any charity or other cause," the company states on its website.

Amazon, which claims over 800,000 associates worldwide, provides the artwork to link to
its home page which the associate is not allowed to modify without permission.

The Amazon spokeswoman said the Jerusalem Post published its link without approval.

Other sites, like Shop4Israel.com, clearly explain the money raised through Amazon
would
be donated to charities "to help the state of Israel and our brothers and sisters who
live
there".

Ms Smith said that Amazon had never donated any money to Israel or charities that
support
Israeli causes.

Amazon has previously been accused of supporting Palestinian groups through associate
agreements.

The Jerusalem Post is published by Hollinger International, which also owns the
Telegraph
newspaper and the Spectator magazine in Britain.

See also:

05 Nov 02 | Business
US warns companies over
Israel boycott

25 Oct 02 | Business
Amazon celebrates sales
boost

23 Jul 02 | Business
Amazon fails to break even

Internet links:

Jerusalem Post

Amazon.com

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Top Business stories now:

United Airlines cuts more
jobs

Online use booming, says
UN

O'Neill pledges US support
for Afghans

Comcast creates US cable
giant

Wang quits Computer
Associates

Bill Gates spots the next big
thing

Islamic institute blesses
interest

Brazil aide decries Americas
trade plan

Links to more Business
stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway