-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Byrd, at 85, Fills the Forum With Romans and Wrath

November 20, 2002
By JOHN TIERNEY

WASHINGTON, Nov. 19 - As his colleagues hurriedly tried to
give the president a domestic security bill, Senator Robert
C. Byrd took the floor this morning to tell them of a
"truly great" senator from the first century A.D. named
Helvidius Priscus. One day this Roman was met outside the
senate by the emperor Vespasian, who threatened to execute
him if he spoke too freely.

"And so both did their parts," Mr. Byrd said. "Helvidius
Priscus spoke his mind; the emperor Vespasian killed him.
In this effeminate age it is instructive to read of
courage. There are members of the U.S. Senate and House who
are terrified apparently if the president of the United
States tells them, urges them, to vote a certain way that
may be against their belief."

Mr. Byrd, of course, is not one of those timid souls, and
his recent speeches have been extraordinary even for the
maestro of senatorial rhetoric, who turns 85 on Wednesday.
While his colleagues have debated the fine points of the
domestic security bill, he has been virtually alone in
asking the larger question: Why is this new department
suddenly so necessary? What will the largest and hastiest
reorganization of the federal government in half a century
do besides allow politicians to claim instant credit for
fighting terrorism?

"This mon-stros-ity," Mr. Byrd has been calling the bill,
repeatedly lifting its 484 pages above his head with
trembling hands and flinging them down on his desk with the
fury of Moses smashing the tablets. Mr. Byrd used to be
known less for his distaste of federal bureaucracy than for
his love of federal aid - he once vowed to be West
Virginia's "billion-dollar industry," while his critics
crowned him the "prince of pork." But now he is riffing
against big government.

"Osama bin Laden is still alive and plotting more attacks
while we play bureaucratic shuffleboard," Mr. Byrd told the
Senate. "With a battle plan like the Bush administration is
proposing, instead of crossing the Delaware River to
capture the Hessian soldiers on Christmas Day, George
Washington would have stayed on his side of the river and
built a bureaucracy." Mr. Byrd imagined Nathan Hale
declaring, "I have but one life to lose for my
bureaucracy," and Commodore Oliver Perry hoisting a flag on
his ship with the rallying cry, "Don't give up the
bureaucracy!"

It would not be strictly accurate to say that Mr. Byrd's
speeches have fallen on deaf ears in the Senate, since the
chamber was mostly empty when he spoke. But thanks to
C-Span, his recent oratory has won this traditional
Democrat new allies across the political spectrum - from
Barbra Streisand to Phyllis Schlafly, according to the
letters his office has received. While liberals have hailed
his opposition to the president on Iraq, which generated
more than 50,000 letters, conservatives have joined him in
warning of a threat to privacy from the domestic security
bill.

As he was waiting to speak on the floor yet again this
afternoon, Mr. Byrd sat in his office and marveled at the
rush to pass the bill.

"That Department of Homeland Security will not add one whit
of security in the near future to the American people," he
said. "In the meantime, the terrorists are going to be very
busy. I'm concerned that in our drive to focus on the war
in Iraq and the Department of Homeland Security, we're
going to be taking our eyes off what the terrorists may do
to us."

Mr. Byrd advocated slowly creating the department, with
Congress overseeing the process, and he pulled out the
ever-present copy of the Constitution from his breast
pocket to make his point. "We're being recreant in turning
over to this president the power shift that is included in
that bill," he said.

One Democratic senator who voted for the domestic security
department said he and his colleagues were exasperated by
Mr. Byrd's delaying tactics on this and other measures.

"More and more of our members feel he's dragging it on and
on ad infinitum, which is not necessary," that senator
said. "Make your point. Have a vote. And move on. He's not
willing to do that. He's from a different school. At some
point you have to say, `Enough is enough.' "

That senator, acknowledging that Mr. Byrd is a powerful
colleague, declined to be named publicly, saying, "I'll get
killed."

Mr. Byrd's long speeches have irritated some of his
colleagues anxious to adjourn, but he has his defenders
even across the aisle.

"I don't happen to agree with Senator Byrd's position on
homeland security, but he deserves to be heard," said
Senator Chuck Hagel, Republican of Nebraska. "Some senators
think we ought to be on a bus schedule, but I don't have
any sympathy for people whining about being delayed. This
is our job. I agree with Senator Byrd that we sometimes
need to spend more time considering issues as important as
this."

Mr. Byrd, who will celebrate his 50th anniversary in
Congress in January, said he had no illusions that his
oratory was going to change the outcome of the final vote.
So why was he on the floor day after day? What was he
accomplishing?

"To me, that question misses the point, with all due
respect to you for asking it," he said. "To me, the matter
is there for a thousand years in the record. I stood for
the Constitution. I stood for the institution. If it isn't
heard today, there'll be some future member who will come
through and will comb these tomes."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/20/politics/20BYRD.html?ex=1038795522&ei=1&en=c9d00c2a3d770853

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company