-Caveat Lector-

http://www.news.com.au/common/printpage/0,6093,5522781,00.html

Click here to print this page

Conspiracies point to all but Muslims
By Don Greenlees
20Nov02

THE headline of one Jakarta daily late last week added the latest twist to the run of
conspiracy theories about who carried out the Bali bombings.

"Imam Samudra a CIA agent?" The heading was splashed across a front page being
offered to Jakarta motorists.

In a country where the appetite for conspiracy theories is always great, the Bali
bombings
have fired the imaginations of the internet gossips, headline writers, radio talk-show
hosts
and political fringe-dwellers.

As fast as the police come up with fresh evidence, someone is ready to absorb it into a
conspiracy that blames everyone and anyone other than Indonesians or Muslims for the
bombing.

When police named Mr Samudra, a 35-year-old West Java man, as one of the ringleaders
of the bombing, it was only a matter of time before someone was going to incorporate
the
development into a new theory of CIA plots.

According to media commentators, sometimes the motive is as crude as selling extra
newspapers. In the rollicking marketplace for Jakarta newspapers and magazines,
anything
goes after the end of the tough press restrictions imposed by former president Suharto.

Two afternoon papers stand out for outlandish headlines: Rakyat Merdeka and Terbit. But
this is seldom carried off with the wit or flare of a London tabloid.

Says Wimar Witoelar, one-time presidential adviser and TV talk-show host: "The press is
on a learning curve, and we keep saying that to the outside world. But we know the
outside
world has no patience with us while we damage our credibility."

But Witoelar, one of the sanest of Indonesian commentators, admits to the lure of the
conspiracy.

He says it might be due to watching "too many CIA movies", but it's hard to stop the
imagination wandering.

"People of the responsible press have had their suspicions and doubts about outside
intervention. I even have some thoughts," says Witoelar.

At heart, many Indonesians don't want to believe members of their own Islamic community
could have perpetrated the Bali bombing.

This report appears on news.com.au.