-Caveat Lector-

State Dept. official: All U.S. aid to Arab world under review

WASHINGTON - The United States is reviewing all its aid to the Arab
world
to see how much it can redirect to programs that promote democracy and
the rule of law, a State Department official said on Friday.

The review includes all assistance to Egypt, the second largest
recipient
of U.S. aid after Israel and one of Washington's best friends in the
Arab
world, he said.

"As part of a U.S. Middle East Partnership Initiative, we are
currently
in the process of conducting a complete review of all our assistance
programs in the Arab world, including Egypt," said the official, who
asked not to be named.

"One of our objectives is to increase the portion of the assistance
fund
that supports the promotion of democracy and the rule of law. This
includes a range of activities intended to strengthen civil society
and
responsible debate in Egypt," the official added, using language
approved
in the department.

Egypt receives about $1.9 billion a year in U.S. aid - roughly
unchanged
since the late 1970s, when late Egyptian President Anwar Sadat signed
peace treaty with Israel.

The official did not say whether the overall amount of U.S. aid would
change but one objective is to increase the amount assigned for
democracy
and rule of law programs.

Much of U.S. aid to Egypt has gone to infrastructure projects, such as
the Cairo sewerage system, and projects to improve health and
education
services for Egyptians.

U.S. upset by Egyptian government
But the Egyptian government has upset the United States at least twice
this year, first by jailing prominent Egyptian-American sociologist
Saadeddin Ibrahim and more recently by allowing state television to
broadcast a series which American Jewish groups say is anti-Semitic.

*****************************
U.S. diplomats in Cairo have been watching the series, "Knight without
House", as it unfolds during the fasting month of Ramadan and have
concluded that they do not like its treatment of the Protocols of the
Elders of Zion.

"We are very disappointed that the Government of Egypt TV station
would
air a program that includes scenes treating the so-called Protocols of
the Elders of Zion, an anti-Semitic forgery, as fact," the U.S.
official
said.

"This broadcast does great harm to Egypt's reputation. We will
continue
to express to the government of Egypt our serious concern over this
matter. This kind of program does not contribute to the climate of
mutual
understanding and tolerance that the Middle East so needs," the
official
added.

*********************************
Egypt and the United States have also been at odds this year over U.S.
threats to attack Iraq.

The Middle East Partnership Initiative is a $20 million program to
promote reformist thinking in the Arab world, based on the premise
that
more democracy would make Arabs feel more favorable toward the United
States and Israel.

U.S. officials say they believe that antagonism toward the United
States
in the Arab world is based on ignorance, misunderstanding or
propaganda
by Arab governments. Arabs say their main problem is with U.S.
policies.

After the Saadeddin Ibrahim case, the United States made clear to
Egypt
that it would not get any extra cash beyond the regular amount it has
received since the 1970s.

By Reuters

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/objects/pages/PrintArticleEn.jhtml?i
temNo=231183