-Caveat Lector-

http://www.antiwar.com/orig/byrd2.html

'An Irresponsible Exercise in Political Chicanery'
Sen. Robert C. Byrd (D-WV)
November 22, 2002
On Tuesday, the Senate voted 90-9 to approve the landmark Homeland Security bill. What
follows is the full transcript of Sen. Byrd's remarks during the conclusion of the
Homeland
Security debate.

We have come to the end of a long, long road. For nearly five months this chamber has
engaged in discussions about homeland security. But, for nearly as long a time this
Congress has not engaged in seeing to it that there is actually funding to make our
people
any safer from the threat of another horrific terrorist attack.

It has been over four months since the House of Representatives has seen fit to pass a
regular appropriations bill.

We have talked a lot about homeland security, but we have done very, very little.

We have not given the cities and municipalities—the police, the firemen, the hospital
workers, the first responders, who are on the front lines—we have not given these
people
one red cent to help them keep us safer from the madmen within our midst in four
months.

It has been a little over a year and two months since America was jolted from its
tranquility
by the noise, smoke and flames of two exploding commercial airlines as they smashed
into
the twin towers.

Yet, in these intervening months, except for the initial help we provided to New York
and to
Washington to aid in closing the hemorrhaging wounds of economic disruption and human
devastation, caused by the terrorist attacks, not enough has changed here at home.

True, we have chased bin Laden across the landscape of Afghanistan and probably
cleansed that nation of the training camps for terrorists for now. We have made
progress, I
am sure, in some disruption of the al-Qaida network worldwide.

But no one in this chamber, and no one in this city can look the American people in
the eye
and say to them: "Today you are much safer here at home than you were 14 months ago."

Because of reckless disregard for the reality of the threat to our domestic security,
this
administration and many in this Congress have taken part in an irresponsible exercise
in
political chicanery.

The White House has pressured its Republican colleagues in the Congress to reject
billions
of dollars in money which could have added to the tangible safety of the American
people.

This White House has stopped this year’s normal funding process in its tracks, and even
turned back funds for homeland security in emergency spending bills that could have
shored
up existing mechanisms to prevent, or respond to, another devastating blow by fanatics
who hate us.

They have done this plain disservice to the people in order to gain some perceived
political
advantage in a congressional election year, and in order to be able to say that they
were
holding down spending. Further, in order to avoid criticism of the too meager dollars
for
homeland security, this White House suddenly did an about-face and embraced the concept
of a Department of Homeland Security.

The people are being offered a bureaucratic behemoth, complete with fancy, top-heavy
directorates, officious new titles and noble sounding missions instead of real tools
to help
protect them from death and destruction.

How utterly irresponsible. How callous. How cavalier. With this debate about homeland
security, politics in Washington has reached the apogee of utter cynicism and the
perigee of
candor.

No one is telling our people the plain unvarnished truth. It is simply this.

This Department is a bureaucratic behemoth cooked up by political advisors to satisfy
several inside Washington agendas.

1) It is intended to protect the president from criticism and fault—should another
attack
occur.

2) It is intended to eliminate large numbers of dedicated, trained federal workers, so
that
lucrative contracts for their services may be awarded to favored private entities.

3) It will be used to channel federal research moneys and grants to big corporate
contributors without the usual federal procurement standards that ensure fair
competition
and best value for the tax dollar.

4) It will foster easier spying and information-gathering on ordinary citizens which
may be
used in ways which could have nothing whatsoever to do with homeland security.

And now with this new bill, which showed up only last week on the doorstep of the
Senate,
insult has been added to injury by provisions that further exploit the already
shamefully
exploited issue of homeland security with pork for certain states and certain
businesses.

My, my, my, how low we have sunk.

Well, the nation will have this unfortunate creature, this behemoth bureaucratic bag of
tricks, this huge Department of Homeland Security, and it will hulk across the
landscape of
this city, touting its noble mission, shining up its new seal, and eagerly gobbling up
tax
dollars for all manner of things, some of which will have very little to do with
protecting or
saving lives.

And maybe in five years or so, it will sort out its mission and shift around its desks
enough
to actually make some real contribution to the safety of our people. I sincerely hope
so.

But, if the latest tape from bin Laden is to be believed, we won’t have time for all
of that. If
the latest threat assessments from the FBI can be believed, we will experience
something
catastrophic before that new department even finishes firing all of the federal
workers it
wants to get rid of.

What does it take to wake us up? What does it take to make the gamesmanship cease?
When will we stop the political mud wrestling and begin to wrestle with the most
potentially
destructive force ever to challenge this nation?

Let us hope that when the gavel bangs to close down this session of Congress, it will
awaken us to all of the dreadful consequences of continued posturing and inaction.

I know that this administration, with its newfound majorities in both houses of
Congress,
will quickly pass the remaining 2003 bills which will provide at least some modicum of
real
security for our people as soon as Congress reconvenes in January. They will want to
claim
that they can get things done.

Although I deplore the motivation and the gamesmanship behind such tactics, I wish them
well and I pledge my help.

It is long past time for us to finally do our best to prevent another deadly strike by
those
who hate us and wish us ill. Terrorism is no plaything.

Political service is no game. Political office is no place for warring children.

And the oath of office which we take is no empty pledge to be subjugated to the
tactics of
election-year chicanery perpetrated on a good and trusting people.

Robert C. Byrd represents West Virginia in the United States Senate.

comments on this article?

send them to backtalk!
[visit backtalk!]

Find this article at: