-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45573-2002Nov27.html?
referer=email

washingtonpost.com

Bush Taps Kissinger to Head 9/11 Probe

By Dana Milbank
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 27, 2002; 1:37 PM

President Bush today named former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger to head the
independent commission investigating the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

George Mitchell, the former Democratic senator from Maine, has been selected by the
congressional Democratic leadership to be vice-chairman, sources said. His appointment
will be announced later this afternoon.

Bush, who originally opposed such a commission and later sought to restrict it from
investigating intelligence failures, today embraced the panel that has a broad charge
investigate the various lapses that allowed the attacks to succeed. And, by naming
Kissinger, Bush assured the commission a high profile.

"I have been given every assurance by the president that we should go where the facts
lead
us and that we're not restricted by any foreign policy considerations," Kissinger said
in the
White House driveway this morning after his appointment. "We are under no restrictions,
and we would accept no restrictions."

Asked whether the commission would question Bush himself, Kissinger replied: "I don't
know whom we will want to question, but we will get at all the facts. And the
president has
promised us that all the facts will be made available."

Kissinger promised a "nonpartisan" inquiry. The 10-member commission will be evenly
divided between Republican and Democratic appointees. It will generally require six
members for the commission to issue a subpoena, but to allay Democratic concerns that
Republicans would block subpoenas, one of the Republican members will be approved by
Sens. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.), who favor an aggressive
inquiry.

Kissinger was a key foreign policy adviser in the Nixon and Ford administrations and
is one
of the nation's most prominent elder statesmen.

"Dr. Kissinger and I share the same commitments," Bush said in announcing the
appointment as he signed the Intelligence Authorization Act in the Roosevelt Room this
morning. "His investigation should carefully examine all the evidence and follow all
the fact,
wherever they lead. We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson of September
the
11th."

© 2002 The Washington Post Company
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway