-Caveat Lector-

A Ramadan Ritual Takes Deadly Turn on West Bank
Troops Kill Drummer Who Defied Curfew

By John Ward Anderson
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, November 28, 2002; Page A14

NABLUS, West Bank, Nov. 27 -- Raed Faour and Jihad Natour, lifelong
friends, were walking through the dark, narrow streets and alleys of the
New Asker refugee camp in Nablus early today, banging their tambourine-like
drums and singing a song to wake up the Muslim faithful and announce the
approaching sunrise.

The drummers, as the pair and others like them are known, are a fixture in
Muslim neighborhoods during the holy month of Ramadan, when families arise
before daybreak to eat a meal because their religion requires them to fast
from sunup to sundown.

Just before 3 a.m., as they were singing a song praising the prophet
Muhammad -- "Oh, the God of Muhammad," it went, "Take the worry from
us!" -- several Israeli soldiers emerged from a hiding spot behind a taxi,
aimed their guns at them and shouted in Arabic, "Stop! Stop!" Faour said in
an interview. "They immediately started shooting," he said, and Natour hit
the ground, shouting: "My brother Raed, I've been shot!"

Palestinians said that Natour, 22, an unemployed carpenter, died in the
street after Israeli soldiers refused to allow an ambulance to pass through
an army checkpoint to take him to a hospital. Residents were outraged that
a drummer was killed while fulfilling a ritual that has been a part of
Ramadan observances for generations.

"This is the height of brutality because they are attacking our culture,
our customs," said a librarian, Naama Ajouri, 37. "The drummer is the most
beautiful thing we have in Ramadan. He does marvelous work, and the
children all listen for his voice and wake up to have a meal so they're not
hungry all day long. I'd never heard such a nice voice as Jihad had."

An Israeli army spokeswoman said soldiers spotted the pair "and they were
suspected because there was a curfew, and they were violating the curfew.
The forces shouted at them to stop and fired a warning shot in the air, and
when they refused to stop, they shot one of the suspects and he was
killed."

"I don't think the soldiers knew who he was," the spokeswoman said. "It's
not regular for people to walk in the street at that time of the night, and
it raised questions. Two mistakes can be made. You can either shoot when
you're not supposed to or not shoot when you should, and that's a judgment.
It's a very violent city. We've arrested seven [would-be] suicide bombers
in the city in last two weeks."

Faour, 28, an unemployed construction worker who has been a drummer during
Ramadan for four years, said it was unlikely anyone could have mistaken
them for anything else. Typically, since their duty is to wake people up,
drummers make so much noise that they can be heard for several blocks in
all directions, and Faour said his drum was loud enough "to wake people in
the next village."

"Is the musaher [drummer] also a terrorist?" said Said Natour, 37, the
older brother of Jihad. "They are creating terror when they kill a person
like him. Where is the peace they are talking about? My brother was an
innocent person. He never harmed anyone and was never arrested. They knew
he was not armed. After all, they could hear him going around with a drum."

Fasting during Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam, along with
other obligations such as praying five times a day and making the
pilgrimage to Mecca. During the fasting period, from dawn to dusk, Muslims
abstain from eating, drinking and smoking, so families typically wake up
before sunrise to eat a meal, and then have a special dinner at night.

In more traditional neighborhoods, drummers walk through the streets
announcing the coming fast and add to the spirit of the season. While the
job is voluntary, residents often tip the drummers with food or cash when
Ramadan is over.

Early today, while banging their drums, Faour said the pair sang their
usual song: "Oh, listeners of my voice: Pray for the prophet Muhammad! Oh
Mustafah," it went, using another name for the prophet, "because of your
love, I can't sleep at night. He is lucky who goes to visit you!"

The shooting occurred as the drummers walked down Biliardo Street near the
center of the refugee camp, a neighborhood of about 1,000 families in the
eastern section of Nablus in the West Bank. Faour said that when the shots
rang out and Natour fell, he darted about 30 feet down an alley and pressed
himself flat in a shallow doorway. Soon, an Israeli soldier appeared at the
top of the alley, sited his gun with a laser on Faour's forehead and
ordered him to come out. Faour said he complied when the soldier promised
not to shoot.

Faour said that he and Natour had halted when ordered to do so, but that
the firing had begun "immediately" after the soldiers had shouted to stop.
"If I had not gone inside the alley, they would have shot me, too," he
said.

Faour said the soldiers ordered him to lift his shirt to check whether he
was wired with an explosive belt. When they saw he was unarmed, Faour said,
they threw him against a wall, knocking him out for about five minutes.
When he came to, Faour said, he asked to see Natour but was hit in the head
with gun and knocked unconscious again for about five more minutes. When he
awoke, he said, he was taken in handcuffs to another part of the city. As
he was led away, it was too dark to see if Natour was bleeding, he said,
but his friend clearly was still alive.

Faour said he was detained until about 4:30 a.m. After his release, he
returned to the street where his friend had been shot, he said, and found
him in an alley, dead.

Amjad Rifai, 31, president of the camp council, said Israeli solders
refused to allow an ambulance to assist Natour. He said an ambulance
arrived at about 5:30 a.m. "This is an indication of how cheap our blood is
to them," he said.

Faour said that today, the 22nd day of Ramadan, was the first time they had
encountered soldiers during their rounds, and it would be his last day as a
drummer.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

-----
Related Links