-Caveat Lector-

http://newsinsider.cjb.net/

http://www.newsinsider.org/editorials/rubin_and_odeh.html

Daily source for under-reported news and analysis

Irv Rubin and Alex Odeh
A Tale of Two Men

By Lionel Rolfe

Irv Rubin's death last week, reminded me of the death almost two decades ago of another
man, Alex Odeh. Odeh was an Arab-American leader in Southern California who may or
may not have been killed by Irv Rubin.

Rubin was the leader of the Jewish Defense League (JDL) and he fell or maybe was pushed
from a balcony at the federal Metropolitan Detention center in Los Angeles earlier this
month. We will probably never know which.

I knew Irv and his wife, Shelley, who was my typesetter during my long tenure as
editor of
the now defunct B'nai Brith Messenger, the nearly century-old Los Angeles Jewish
weekly.

Shelley, Irv and I did nothing if not argue politics during that period. My strong
impression
was that Shelly was the brains of the pair, and although I was fond of both in a
strange
kind of way, it seemed to me that if you live by the sword, there's a strong chance
you will
die by the sword.

Part of me agreed with Irv. The part about "Never Again" was meaningful to me. I grew
up
getting beaten up for being a Jew. Back in the '50s Long Beach, I was chased home
through
the back alleys from Woodrow Wilson High School. The members of this gang of Christian
thugs took turns slugging me, as they called me a 'Christ Killer.' Their leader was a
minister's son.

Establishment Jewish organizations were always made uncomfortable by Irv, and yet they
now must defend the actions of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, which are
essentially
the same as Irv's. Irv was in jail facing charges that he tried to blow up an
Arab-American
congressman's office and a mosque, whereas Sharon has an army at his disposal on which
to vent his murderous impulses.

The ideological mentor shared by Rubin and Sharon was Vladimir Jabotinsky who in the
'30s admired Mussolini's politics but not Hitler's, even though both men were fascists.
Jabotinsky had so much hate for communists and other leftist, he sided with the Nazis
against the Communists who led the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. It was not just coincidence
that Jabotinsky's ideological heirs in Israel were responsible for the assassination
of Yitzhak
Rabin, whose crime was that he was successfully carving out a peace with the
Palestinians.

Federal investigators regarded Rubin as a suspect in the 1985 bomb blast in Santa Ana,
which killed Alex Odeh, an official of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

I had had long conversations with Rubin and Odeh. I did a formal sit-down interview
with
Irv at Canter's Delicatessen and Odeh came to my home where we drank coffee and spent
the afternoon talking.

While some of what Irv said sometimes resonated with my Jewish soul, as he called it,
he
was obviously a demagogue, inspired by Rabbi Meir Kahane, who founded the JDL.

It was easy to dismiss Kahane when you spoke to him up close -as he spoke, strange
ticks
and twitches marched across his face. There was also an unwholesome intensity in his
eyes that was most unsettling. Irv, for all his size and seemingly fearless strength
and
fanaticism, had a very shlub-like quality to him as well.

There was a certain similarity in the biographies of Rubin and Odeh. Odeh was born in
the
West Bank but had to go to Jordan where he went to school. After the 1967 war, he
couldn't return to see his parents -35 miles away. Rubin suffered constant Jew-baiting
in his
native Canada.

Odeh, who was a Catholic and not a Muslim, knew something of the struggles of Jews
throughout history, and joined in Hanukkah festivities with Jews who would have him -
usually they were left-wing peacenik types. He had spoken to Jewish audiences, and
found
that most Jews were not like Irv Rubin. They didn't hate Arabs. They were sympathetic
his story and believed him. He was most struck by an appearance at a community Jewish
center, where one woman kept hurling invective at him, but the rest did not.

Odeh was a literate man, an intellectual, an honest man. So when the murder occurred
early in the morning, by late morning when I asked Rubin what he thought of Odeh's
death,
Rubin angered me by saying no Jew or American should shed one tear for the destruction
of a PLO. front in Santa Ana or anywhere else in the world.

I once asked Odeh what he most wanted to tell the Jews of Los Angeles. "I would want
them to know that the crux of the matter is that Palestinians are human beings, who
have
been subjected to a kind of Holocaust, genocide, abuse, harassment, such as their
fellow
Jews went through in Europe in the thirties and forties," he said.

"Jews in Los Angeles have a legitimate concern about the survival of Israel, but they
must
take into consideration the Arab or Palestinian factors. No matter how much money Jews
give to the support of the State of Israel, living conditions won't improve without a
settlement.

"So long as Palestinians are not satisfied or their national aspirations are not
somehow
met, we won't have peace in the Middle East. Peace would be possible with mutual
understanding, based in business, ideas, and technology. But there also must be mutual
respect."

Odeh made much more sense to me than Rubin. For what other conclusion can a sane man
have, than that co-existence is the only alternative to continual warfare? That was
the point
Irv never seemed to comprehend. Or Sharon, or Bush, for that matter.

There are obviously times people have to go to war to defend themselves. But few who
have ever been in war graduate into being thugs in civilian life. That's going over
the line.

Copyright © 2002 by the News Insider and Lionel Rolfe

 Lionel Rolfe is the author of "Literary LA" which has just been released in an
enlarged third
edition. He also wrote "Fat Man on the Left."

Copyright notice

The use of the editorials published on this site is free, as long as News Insider is
notified
and referred to
as the source of the information cited. We believe in the free sharing of information,
but we
do not encourage plagiarism. If our editorials are of use to you, please contact us to
let us
know. Thank you for your cooperation.

Copyright © the News Insider 2000-2002. All rights reserved.