-Caveat Lector-

http://salon.com/politics/conason/2002/12/05/bush/index.html

Joe Conason's Journal
Rush -- nailed on his own show! Plus: Will disclosure requirement cause Kissinger to
resign?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dec. 5, 2002  | Squawk radio

A plucky Salon reader -- let's just call him "Greg from Orlando" since that's how his
friends
over at the EIB network know him -- sent a fascinating memo Wednesday about the
methods he has used to bring a bit of balance to Rush Limbaugh's radio show. This is
his
version of their most recent encounter:

"Scored a direct hit on the Hot Air Hindenburg today, making the kind of call to Rush
Limbaugh halfway through his show that [made] him a stuttering fool and [had] all of
the
callers who followed trying to repair the damage. His show started with the usual
relentless
demonizing of liberals, this time John Kerry from Massachusetts, a Vietnam War hero
whom Rush was mocking as 'Lurch,' using the Addams' Family theme song. But when he
tried to twist Kerry's words [from] Sunday on Meet the Press -- about how 'Sometimes in
war a leader looks behind him and the troops aren't there,' as somehow showing [Kerry]
as
incompetent or a failure -- I'd had enough.

"I jogged to the nearest phone and dialed a dozen times till I got through, then told
his call
screener that I'd like to make the case that Kerry isn't going to be painted as a
garden-
variety liberal as easily as they think, given his war-hero status and foreign policy
credentials. Guess I sold the screener, because I was put through onto the air within
seconds ...

"I told Rush the same thing on the air and then asked him if he'd seen the New Yorker
piece
on Kerry. [A penetrating, thoughtful profile by Joe Klein that I ought to have
mentioned last
week.]

"Slowly and deliberately I told the story about how in
response to the Vietnam War, John Kerry had gone down to the recruiting office to sign
up
to fight along with his two best friends, John J. Pershing III and Fred Smith, the
founder of
Federal Express. When Rush tried to bring up the smear about him not having his troops
behind him, I explained that Kerry had been referring to how he won his Silver Star
rescuing crew members of his fast-boat who had fallen overboard, and been wounded even
while fending off a Vietcong machine gun nest.

"I then asked Rush how Bush might respond if, in the debates, Kerry asked him where he
had been when he didn't show up for his plum [National Guard] assignment for a year. Or
for that matter, how [Rush] could disparage a war hero when he himself had dodged the
Vietnam Draft by claiming to have a boil on his butt.

"He tried to lie [his way] out of this but I explained that his 4-F form listing a
'pilonidal cyst'
was printed in books for all to see [i.e., "The Rush Limbaugh Story" by Paul D.
Colford, St.
Martin's Press, 1993, in Chapter 2: Beating the Draft]. At that point, I was cut off
the air
and as Rush stuttered and stumbled around like I have never heard him before, his
screener came back online and told me, 'You're out of here, buddy -- we've got you
pegged
and you'll never call again.'

"As with a previous call, when I nicknamed Rush 'The Jabba the Hut of American
Politics'
(which stuck and caused him to lose 100 pounds over a year's time), all of the rest of
the
show was dominated by damage-control over my call. A number of callers took issue with
the correct labeling of most right-wing war-hawks as 'Chicken Hawks' -- and this
allowed
Rush to obscure the issue by claiming that he'd merely not served, rather than dodged
the
draft with a bogus 4-F status. At least nine times that I counted, he referred to me
by name
with the usual cheap smears, and I collected each as a badge of honor I'm sending to
John
Kerry to add to his uniform."

Please feel free to try a similar experiment in the comfort of your home. Greg also had
some advice for anyone who would like to debate El Rushbo:

"I was on the air live around 1:30 p.m. [EST]. In order to get onto Rush's show as a
liberal,
you have to fall within usually a 1-2 day window where he has recently claimed, on the
air
or to friends and colleagues (falsely), that he 'always puts liberals at the front of
the line' --
when in reality they screen out almost anyone who they even suspect disagrees with them
on 99 out of 100 days ...

"His and ALL of the right-wing shows ... carefully screen [and] filibuster the calls,
so that
opposing views are quickly cut off and a balanced view cannot be reasonably
entertained. It
is almost as if they know that if the other side can be fairly aired beside their own
far-right
viewpoint, they would lose a significant [percentage] of sycophants."

Like other satellites of the RNC propaganda network, Limbaugh is testing various
assaults
on Kerry -- which suggests how threatening they consider his candidacy. The radio
demagogue's written response to Greg -- plus audio -- can be found on the Limbaugh Web
site.
http://rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_120402/content/from_across_the_fruited_plain_
2.guest.html
Click there and you'll see that the "chicken hawk" tag obviously stings. That's why it
should
be applied whenever Limbaugh slurs a patriot like Kerry, Daschle, McCain, Harkin -- or
any
of the very long list of Democrats who served, unlike him.
[2:42 p.m. PST, Dec. 5, 2002]