On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 12:27:46AM +0200 I heard the voice of
Michael van Elst, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:36:39PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:
> > Ah, no! xkill doesn't kill the popup windows, but its *creator*, i.e.
> > the script that created them. That's not what's supposed to happen...
>
> It closes the connection to the X server, this deletes all windows that
> were created on that connection. Most clients will then abort (as they
> should, the same happens when the X server is shut down).

xkill(1) is a wrapper around XKillClient(3), which is what we do via
f.destroy.  It sounds like Frank is wanting something more like our
f.delete, which works via the ICCCM WM_DELETE_WINDOW
(https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/icccm/icccm.html#ClientMessage_Events)
message to ask the program to remove the given window.

So...   you could probably craft up some sorta CLI stub to craft and
XSendEvent(3) such a message, though that's manually frobbing a good
ways deep into things.  The "right" answer is probably just to add
_NET_CLOSE_WINDOW supports to ctwm via effectively calling f.delete on
it.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fulle...@over-yonder.net