> But I have not been able to work out how to switch to using it, preferably
> with
> my old .ctwmrc configuration (12 desktops, in 3 rows of four desktops), which
> I've used for many years.

There should be a ctwm.desktop-file in /usr/share/xsessions, if you use X11
fonts, check that Ubuntu does not block you from using them and that all are
installed. That are the only things I could think of. I have been running ctwm
4.03 on a macbook with lubuntu, but the charging contact broke, so it is out of
power (and very old, powerpc, that is the reason for Ubuntu)

My ctwm.desktop looks like:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=CTWM
Exec=/usr/bin/ctwm