Thanks Stefan,

> > While running lxpanel with ctwm I can click on the network icon
> > included, and access NM. But I can't see why I can't just invoke
> > 'nm-applet' in a ctwm menu option. I have done some searching on the
> > internet, but probably have not phrased the question correctly.
>
> AFAIK there's no NM client which does not rely on the panel.
> Tho, I see now that I can run nm-connection-editor, tho I'm not sure if
> it works by contacting nm-applet or if it wold also work if I didn't
> have nm-applet running.

I was able to run nm-connection-editor without the panel. It allows me
to edit wireless connections provided I run it as root. To launch it
from a ctwm menu I can use sudo. That's a good start. For some reason
    "sudo /bin/nm-connection-editor &"

does not work in a ctwm menu, but the following does.

    "xterm -geom 10x2 -e sudo /bin/nm-connection-editor &"

I also have nm-tool, which reports current states, and I've just
discovered nmcli, though it's not clear whether those will be of any
use.

Thanks.

Aaron