On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 03:39:17PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Nadav Har'El, and lo! it spake thus:

> The "missing" window that supposedly ctwm put up and disappeared is
> 0x80000b. It's not listed in xwininfo -root -tree. All of ctwm's
> children appear to have the 0x14.... ids.

Mmm.  Well, you said it's there for a while when you start up; see if
you can find it then.  Might give a hint of where it came from.

> xterm returns to working. But restarting ctwm, doesn't return this
> property. So perhaps I was wrong, and ctwm isn't at all the one
> which adds this wrong property for me? It appears (?) that ctwm adds
> _WIN_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK, but NOT _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK.

Indeed; I don't have a _NET_ anything. _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK is a
EWHM property; x-ref
<http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2577320>.
And ctwm doesn't do any EWMH stuff.

--