I really enjoyed your post, Andy.  Our backgrounds are probably quite
similar in some respects as I am the oldest of 9 and was brought up on
a small hill farm in central Vermont.  Your discussion of the father
and son aspects is especially meaningful today, Father’s Day.  We do
seem to get the deeper meaning of our parents’ stories as we grow
older.

Your story about your grandfather and the deer reminded me of one of
my dad when I was about 12.  He was quite clever and did pretty well
with his 6th grade education.  Dad had decided to tempt deer to a
pasture by planting clover, since it was legal for farmers to take
deer if they were damaging your crops.  The plan was quite successful
as he got 3 deer.  However, he became nervous thinking the authorities
might not like the fact that he had taken 3 deer, so he invited all
his friends and relatives to a “mountain veal barbeque,” which
everyone enjoyed.   Not a very spiritual story – guess his Catholic
guilt got the best of him!

Like your grandfather, Dad was also a logger and when he needed money,
for instance, to make a payment on the farm, he would go logging in
our woodlot.  When he died, he left the woodlot to my 4 brothers – his
reasoning that they had worked hard on the farm.  One of my brothers
wanted out so I bought his share.  The only recollection I have of the
woodlot was as a 5-year-old walking proudly behind my father carrying
his ax, which I promptly walked into.  I still have the scar! (My
mother was not happy!)  Anyway, I visited the woodlot with my brother,
Paul, and walked it with him.  Paul told me that our dad used to come
to it when he needed to think and have some ‘alone’ time. And I have
to say, I did feel a close spiritual connection - to my dad and to
nature.

Dad really was quite connected to nature and animals.  All the cows
had names, and Buddy, the bull, knew who was the boss.  How did Buddy
know who was the boss, you might ask?  Well, Dad occasionally would
take Buddy by the horns and wrestle him to the ground!  Very
impressive sight when you’re 8 years old.

Sorry for the long response, Andy – but thank you for bringing up some
family memories.