I am trying to incorporate this week’s readings in the Handbook,
Lewis’ “Coyote Wisdom,” and the ‘What Traditional Indigenous Elders
say about Cross Cultural Mental Health Training’ Paper along with my
fumblings in beginning fieldwork for ‘the’ academic paper.  There are
many interesting avenues I could follow, and I think that until I get
some interviews under my belt I really won’t know which areas I want
to pursue.

Off the top of my head, I am tending to think that I would like to do
some qualitative analysis, perhaps of past students’ papers, or some
comparison of indigenous healing systems. One of the people I plan on
interviewing does shamanic healing and I look forward to hearing more
about that.  Our experiential weekend was very enlightening for me.  I
want to pursue more on the cultural beliefs of Native Americans;  I
have always been interested in this subject area.

The discussions in the Handbook on cultural evolution and its effect
on sickness and healing and the contrast between the evolution of
European ideas of modern medicine with disease as a “thing” versus the
traditional approach of treating the whole person certainly give us
another realm to focus on.

I did enjoy the Elders Paper and how Lewis was able to connect with
the 19 Traditional Healing Elders and come up with the 12 core values
principles that should be part of all mental health training.
However, something like that would take a great deal of background
knowledge and experience before it could be undertaken by a layperson
such as myself.  But I am finding that I like the narrative style of
writing, and it is a method I prefer.

The idea of stories and what we consider our true ‘self’ is what we
want to be, possibly what we are told we are by others is fascinating
to me.  That we have evolved to where we currently are through our
relationships is a concept that I have considered in passing, but
haven’t placed much emphasis on.

So I am plugging along trying to take it all in.