Andy,
I enjoyed reading your post.  Your comment about not having the
opportunity to alter the way in which illness was viewed because a
different view  didn't exist for you hit home.  You can't change what
you don't know.  The book talks about the health-seeking process being
a decision-making process and the choices that are made as
circumstances and knowledge changes.  So as we mature and acquire more
knowledge, hopefully we come up with more and better options for
treatment help.