E.      What is unique and different about Japanese therapies from other
cultures with which you are familiar?

The handbook describes two Japanese indigenous psychotherapies, Naikan
therapy and Morita therapy.  Their goals of cultural accommodation,
reached by different methods, are to resocialize clients to their
social networks. Although not being familiar with U.S. psychotherapy
practices, I find it unique that the goal is social restoration.

Both of these therapies use negotiations (between client & therapist)
that are mainly nonverbal along with some verbal work.  This is
reached not by verbal exploration between the therapist and the client
as we would expect in the West, but by initial isolation from the
client’s problem interpersonal networks.  They are provided with a
very structured therapeutic setting and  routine in which they spend a
vast amount of time in self-reflection and acceptance of fears and
anxieties.

These two therapies are very different from the Western models of
psychoanalysis, client-centered therapy or behavior therapy.  “Morita
and Naikan therapies are both means to achieving ‘self-illumination’
within the Japanese cultural context.”  This is done through highly
structured self-reflection, very different from that which I am
familiar. Unlike the Western focus on individuation of self, these
Japanese cultural therapies concentrate on interpersonal transactions.