On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, Weston Schmidt via curl-library wrote:

You bring up an interesting point that I don't have a good answer for - how should the easy interface work? I struggled with it when working on the curlws code & decided to avoid it in favor of the multi api. If there is a good example of something similar in curl as a pattern, that might help inform how to do it.

The easy interface is for full data transfers in either or both directions. It is not a good fit for websockets (generic custom bidirectional connectivity), and that's why I thought about mimicing the model we support for CONNECT_ONLY plus curl_easy_recv/curl_easy_send.

Even if I having been educated in this thread have realized that the curl_easy_recv and curl_easy_send calls won't work for this as-is, so we should therefore probably consider adding special-purpose websocket read/send API calls.

The CONNECT_ONLY style of connect-only could perhaps be implied when as ws(s):// scheme is used.

--

 / daniel.haxx.se