Hi,

Just wanted to share this fun fact with you all.

Here's my test command line:

    curl -sL https://google.com -o /dev/null

I ran this command line with 4 recent curl versions and I counted the total number of allocations (using the script shown below). These are only allocations done by curl and libcurl code, the dependencies' allocations are not included.

 * 7.70.0

 Allocations: 415  Maximum allocated: 239432

 * 7.78.0

 Allocations: 391  Maximum allocated: 201926

 * 7.81.0

 Allocations: 391  Maximum allocated: 201700

 * 7.82.0-DEV (as of git master right now)

 Allocations: 174  Maximum allocated: 201684

This is a 55% reduction in number of allocations from 7.81.0 (while maintaining and even shrinking the max amount a tiny bit)! The bulk of this improvement comes from this single commit: https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/955cb99130f7c

The test script, requires a curl built debug-enabled:

#!/bin/sh
export CURL_MEMDEBUG=$HOME/tmp/curlmem.log
./src/curl -sL https://google.com -o /dev/null
./tests/memanalyze.pl -v $HOME/tmp/curlmem.log

--

 / daniel.haxx.se