W dniu 2022-09-20 08:22, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library napisaƂ(a):
On Mon, 19 Sep 2022, Dmitry Karpov via curl-library wrote:

Working with IPv6-enabled dual-stack libcurl, I noticed that for some Linux kernel configurations, it takes ~15-30ms more for dual-stack libcurl to establish IPv4 connections than for IPv4 single-stack libcurl. After looking into this issue, it turned out that the regression was caused by Curl_ipv6works() function enabled in IPv6-on builds.

The origin for that IPv6 check was that back in the 90s it happened
that configure detected IPv6 support but then at runtime curl couldn't
actually use it.

I dare to suggest that we don't see that kind of system setups and
behavior anymore. I think maybe the time has come to make instead
rather assume that it works when built IPv6 enabled. At least I think
it is worth exploring that route first before we consider adding a new
API function for it.

This is not true. Application can be built using curl with IPv6 enabled (e.g. using RedHat 8 base docker image), then executed on another system/machine with IPv6 disabled. If I remember correctly, attempt to create IPv6 socket failed with error.

--
Regards,
Daniel

--