Hi friends,

ngtcp2 and nghttp3 are the foundation for the most mature HTTP/3 solution currently available for curl.

They have now both been released in 1.0.0 versions and say they will stop breaking the API every so often. I believe this is the moment we have been waiting for when we as well can move towards non-experimental HTTP/3 support, based on these libraries.

curl also supports HTTP/3 using two other backends (quiche and msh3), but as they are still labeling themselves as "beta" and using unstable APIs, I do not consider them ready for prime time yet.

There are some steps left to do to get this done:

1. Make sure we test with 1.0.0 in CI: https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/12132

2. Update documentation so that the non-ngtcp2 HTTP/3 solutions remain marked
   experimental but the ngtcp2 is not.

3. Check for and use ngtcp2 by default.

4. Ship a curl release with the above. It seems doable already for 8.5.0.

--

 / daniel.haxx.se