On Mon, 20 Nov 2023, Cristian Rodríguez via curl-library wrote:

My suggestion effectively stops proliferation of different TIMEOUT_WHATEVER options and provides exactly what application writers need, a parameter with the standardized type for intervals.

- I don't think there's so much proliferation. We basically allow seconds
  and/or milliseconds.

- timespec did not exist when we made the first options that accept timeouts
  and it not available in plain old C89

- It is still not a standardized type for timeouts in many APIs

- We use milliseconds in numerous options already, so that seems a much less
  surprising choice if we would add support for a higher resolution server
  response timeout. Consistency in the API makes it more predictable for
  users.

- providing a timespec struct pointer as an argument to curl_easy_setopt()
  seems a slightly more unfortable solution than a plain long holding
  milliseconds - for very little extra value. It seem unlikely to appear a
  demand for sub-millisecond resolutions for this functionality anytime soon,
  seeing as we have survived on integer seconds fine still today.

--

 / daniel.haxx.se