Update and new issues.  Tried the install from the USB image and ran “sysinst”
from there and it worked for installing the base system.

Two issues though: 1) pkgin install reported an error - no libcrypt.so found,
and 2) pkgsrc install failed as it downloaded in “.tar.gz” format (I think),
but expected a “.tar.xz” format for unpacking.

Also interesting that during install if one installs the files from a local
filesystem you’re asked where the source files are, but even if a valid path is
provided they are never installed.  I think this is a long-standing issue
though.