On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 17:44 Constantine A. Murenin <c...@netbsd.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 12:20, <m...@netbsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:30:48PM +1000, Paul Ripke wrote:
>> > I switched away from cvsup a while back, but I now see that github
>> > NetBSD/src mirror is now 5 days old. Known issue?
>>
>> Yes, I believe joerg and spz are changing the conversion from
>> cvs->??->git to hg->git, to match what will be done once we stop using
>> CVS.
>>

> What's wrong with "??"?  I think it's pretty well-known that Fossil has
> been the intermediary repository in NetBSD's conversion from CVS to Git
> since 2011, and it would seem that https://src.fossil.netbsd.org/ is
> still up-to-date, FWIIW, whereas GitHub's src is 7 days behind.
>
> I thought the plan to move to HG hasn't been finalised yet, am I missing
> something?  Plus, why HG and not Fossil, if the end-result consumption is
> via Git anyways?

Last I heard fossil had scaling issues due to the large number of artifacts
that needed to be tracked. I may be able to trawl notes and find some
particulars, or Joerg may be able to comment from memory on the technical
aspects.

I was really hopeful for fossil as a solution as it seems really sane for
many reasons:
1) good user interface(s)
2) good, novel ticket handling
3) sane architecture
4) portable C implementation
5) BSD license

I think in the end though Joerg reckoned the scalability issue was too much.

-bch