Hello.  As I understand it, Greg ran into this problem on a xen domu.  In
checking my NetBSD-9
system running as a domu under xen-4.14.1, there is no rdrand or rdseed feature
exposed to
domu's by xen.  This observation is confirmed by looking at the xen command
line reference
page: https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/xen-command-line.html

        So, it seems the best answer is to update our documentation to say that
the xen
hypervisor, by default, doesn't provide the rdrand and rdseed instructions to
the xen guests
and NetBSD doesn't trust the random sources provided by the xennet(4) and
xbd(4) drivers.
Therefore, the only solution to get randomness working for the first time on a
newlyinstalled
domu is to write 32 bytes to /dev/random.
-thanks
-Brian