Hi Rene,

>at negligible incremental cost (a few field multiplies) even if one
implements ECDH using
>Montgomery ladders and is only given the x-coordinate of a point

If you transfer the full point coordinates the cost indeed might be
small. If you spare the communication bandwidth and transfer the
x-coordinate only, you need code and computation for a full field
exponentiation (square root). IMO, this is worth to be spared, at least
on small targets.

Yours,

Björn.