Kurt,

Good morning, and thanks for your note. I wanted to double check with the team
on this and was able to confirm my supposition.

As you know, some CWE entries are ‘Weaknesses’, whereas others are
‘Categories’, and others are ‘Views’.

The CWE XML – as specified in the schema – first lists all weaknesses (under
the <Weaknesses> element), then all categories (under the <Categories>
element), etc.

You can confirm that CWE-2 is in the downloaded XML by doing a simple grep for
‘ID=”2”’ and noting that there is an element with the following line:

    <Category ID="2" Name="7PK - Environment" Status="Draft">

We have downloaded the latest cwec file using the URL that you specified and
confirmed the existence of CWE-2.

You can use the following command line to see all the listed entries (tested on
Red Hat Linux):

    egrep '<(Weakness|Category|View).*ID="[0-9]+"' cwec_v4.6.xml

To confirm that CWE-1 is present, try the following command:

   egrep '<(Weakness|Category|View).*ID="[0-9]+"' cwec_v4.6.xml | egrep 'ID="1"

The total list of deprecated entries (23 weaknesses, 35 categories, and 3 views
– total of 61) can be viewed here:
https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/604.html

Best,
Alec