Apps I find often useful:

Shazam: Let it listen to music that's playing somewhere (even a
crowded bar often), it'll tell you the artist, album, etc. (and of
course offer a link to purchase it if you want)
Pandora: Streams music from the pandora music service, which does a
fairly good job of creating personalized stations based on music you
like. Works fine wifi or 3G
VNC Lite: MochaSoft has a free VNC client that works great over wifi
RDP Lite: MochaSoft has a free RDP client that works great over wifi
Ping Lite: Will ping a machine, an entire subnet, traceroute, and
telnet all in one app

All of the above are free apps,