Hello all,

I have an e-mail server that is outgrowing its capacity.  So, I would
like to redirect some accounts within a single domain to another mail
server.  But I would like to do it transparently.

For example, let's say I have two accounts, b...@example.com and
m...@example.com.  My current setup is such that the MX record for
example.com points to a single server:  smtp.example.com.  However,
smtp.example.com is running out of capacity.  So I would like bob's
e-mail to go to one server and mary's e-mail go to another.

What I think I would like to do is add two new servers:
smtp01.example.com and smtp02.example.com, with smtp.example.com
acting as a gateway/relay/proxy.  So, e-mail would still go to
smtp.example.com.  But it would then pass on e-mail for
b...@example.com to smtp01.example.com and e-mail for m...@example.com
to smtp02.example.com.

If this is a reasonable way to go, what is this setup called?  I have
found plenty of examples of relaying or creating transports at the
domain level, but nothing at the granularity of accounts within a
domain.

Are there other, more reasonable ways to split e-mail across multiple
e-mail servers for accounts in a single domain?

Regards,
- Robert

Central West End Linux Users Group (via Google Groups)
Main page: http://www.cwelug.org
To post: cwelug@googlegroups.com
"Central West End Linux Users Group" group.
to cwelug+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.