The first answer on this page is amazingly thorough, & I think many of you will enjoy reading it. Definitely made things clearer for me.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/65803/why-is-printf-better-than-echo?newsletter=1

Scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
sc...@granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

“There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law.”
      ---Robert A. Heinlein

Central West End Linux Users Group (via Google Groups)
Main page: http://www.cwelug.org
To post: cwelug@googlegroups.com