On Thursday 03 May 2007 21:55, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> Daniel Kulp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Technically, with JAX-WS, you don't need the wsdl.  However, the
> > spec does say that if it's available/specified, we're supposed to
> > use it.
>
> Use it to supply default values? It seems like a large run time tax
> that the WSDL2Java tool -- or something like it -- should be fixing
> into code.

There's a couple places it's really used.   One is the actual connection
information.   The URL isn't burned in anywhere.    The other thing that
is done is to make sure the WSDL actually matches the code.   For
example, does the interface that you are using actually have matching
operations in the wsdl.

On the server side, if the original WSDL is available, we return it
during ?wsdl processing rather than synthesize one.

> > You would still need to set the endpoint address though.  That
> > doesn't get recorded anywhere.
>
> Oh, as that normally gets read from the WSDL at run time, not from an
> annotation on the Service-derived class, right?

Right.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer