On Wednesday 25 July 2007 07:16, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Could some kind person explain what's going on with the jar files
> here? This manifest jar business is a new one on me. If we put a jar
> in the classpath with a MANIFEST.MF with a classpath, are the
> pathnames in the MANIFEST.MF interpreted relative to the path of the
> manifest jar?

Yep.   It's a good way to reduce the size of the classpath.   Instead of
having 50 jars on the classpath, the manifest jar allows just putting a
single jar that references all the others.  For Windows with it's
smaller classpath limit, this is kind of important.

One note: the ClassPath entry in MANIFEST.MF can have entries to jars
that don't exist.  That's fine.  We use this.   The manifest jar we have
points at both the bundle jar and all the module jars.  However, you
should use only the bundle jar or the modules.   This allows the same
manifest jar to work with either setup.

> And why does it matter for the schemata?

In theory, it shouldn't.  :-)

I haven't looked into it at all.  James will.   Most likely, there was a
duplicate schema or similar in the module jars.   When the module jars
were bundled together into the bundle jar,  the "wrong" one is ending up
in the bundle.   Either that or we forgot to bundle the schemas into the
bundle jar so they aren't there at all.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp