This is actually an "interesting" question that's been on my "todo" list
to investigate for ages.  It relates to things like HashMaps and such.

The JAXB Javadoc describes some stuff about XmlAdapters:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/xml/bind/annotation/adapters/XmlAdapter.html
that supposedly could be used to map non-jaxb objects into objects that
JAXB can understand.   That javadoc describes a sample thing for
HashMaps, but I haven't actually tried doing it to see how it would work
or how to integrate it into CXF.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp