Any chance you can wireshark/tcpdump the interaction so we can see what
it on the wire?   From the error, it looks like the return message is
messed up somehow.

You could try adding to the SEI interface:
@Features(features = "org.apache.cxf.feature.LoggingFeature")
to turn on the logging.   If you could do that on the server as well to
see what it is sending, that would be great.

Dan